Installing cast iron tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Leo427

Reaction score
I am in the process of having a cast iron tub installed. Currently, the tub is resting on a ledger board attached to the wall. There are shims under one end of the apron to keep the tub from rocking due to a gap. All four feet of the tub are in the air. The directions from Kohler state that the feet should be supported with metal shims for support with no mention of a ledger board. Should I shim the feet in addition to the ledger board or leave it as is with the feet unsupported? I feel that it wouldn't hurt to shim the feet also, but I do not want to look for trouble. :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tub must be supported on its feet. You risk cracking the tub or tearing the ledger board out when you fill it with water and put a person or two in it. Ensure that the top rim is level, also. Make sure you use something substantial under the feet. The tub probably weighs ~300#, put 40 gallons of water in it adds 320#, and then say a 250# person - 870#, give or take.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shims

My first question would be why the legs are in the air. Normally, if the tub is installed on a level floor the legs all set on the floor and the ledger board is just a formality.

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
No ledger board?

No ledger board for a cast iron tub? Has anyone else heard of this or is not installing ledger boards?

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Yes, No Ledger

Certainly you are right. There is no ledger board mentioned. I haven't read installation instructions on a cast iron tub in decades. I guess I should.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ledger board

I only use one on a wood floor, and that is just to be sure that even if the tub settles into the flooring, the edge of the tub will stay locked to the bottom of the wall finish.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
ledger board

I only use one on a wood floor, and that is just to be sure that even if the tub settles into the flooring, the edge of the tub will stay locked to the bottom of the wall finish.

I've seen the legs on cast iron tubs sinking into the plywood before. I install using a ledger board to prevent that. And for the same reason that hj does.

tub-sinking-into-wood.jpg

Last edited:

lanachurner

Reaction score
I never install a ledger board.
What I do is buy 4 blank metal covers for an electrical light box and set them under the feet/legs.
They are cheap and heavy enough to prevent the legs from sinking into the sub floor. Then you can use shims on top of them if needed.
Remember to set the tub so it tilts toward the back wall about 1/8". This will prevent spillage over the sides and rotting out the wood at the corners.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Remember to set the tub so it tilts toward the back wall about 1/8".

HOW do you do this if the feet are sitting on your metal box covers and the feet are designed to keep the tub level with the front apron ON THE FLOOR?

lanachurner

Reaction score
Use 3 covers under the outside feet and 1 under the inside ones. They are about 1/16" thick so the back slope works out just about right.
If you buy the round ones for a light box they're only about $.40 apiece.
Cheap enough...
If you're really on a budget, buy those new fangled wedges they use for shimming doors on the outside ones - between the foot and the plate. They are made out of a very dense plastic/composite material and do not compress under the weight of the tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks