Shower head sizes???did they change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob S

retired forgettful journeyman plumber
Reaction score
I bought A new shower head, and it has hardly any pressure at all. I looked at my old one, and it looks like the water supply hole..is much larger, than this new one. Has a smaller diameter. Do they make different sizes.? I been retired a long time now. Am i missing something here// any help i am grateful bob s

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Since about 1987, Federal regulations have restricted water use in various devices you can buy. Prior to that, they were pretty much unrestricted, so yes, if you have an old one, it probably has a larger inlet and, if you have an older supply valve, that may have a larger port to it as well.

Today, it's illegal to sell and in most places install a device that does not meet those guidelines. This applies to showerheads, vanity faucets, kitchen faucets, toilets, urinals, and most things.

On some devices, you can defeat that by just removing a restrictor, on many, you'd need to drill out the hole. You really shouldn't, but it's your house. Larger volume not only means more water used, but more energy used to heat it, and more water that needs to be run through the sewer system. Michigan may not have an issue with water, at least if you're near one of the lakes, but still...as a country, it matters.

FWIW, the pressure is identical, but the volume is down, probably considerably. It's a function of how many and how big the spray holes are as to the 'effective' pressure you feel just like a soda straw verses a fire hose, both being fed from the same supply...one will have LOTS more volume than the other.

Not all showerheads are created equal...there are actually some that work quite well and still abide by the restrictions.

Bob S

Reaction score
These worked great but they are old.Is there a cleaning fluid i can soak the rust out of them again.I don't care about what the government mandates- on this subject, we just need a stream bigger than i can pee..to rinse off with. Anyone knowing how to fix this showerhead delema.PLEASE CONTACT ME she needs more water,Always bureaucrats trying to save something, on anything, please contact me pm or email etc or ?? bob s
ps these heads weigh 3-4lbs each good ones no plastic thanks

Attachments

• OLD shower head 001.JPG
    OLD shower head 001.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 269
  • OLD shower head 002.JPG
    OLD shower head 002.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 288

Jadnashua

Reaction score
CLR, or just plain white vinegar can dissolve mineral deposits...CLR is probably better at cleaning rust, if it's that.

Bob S

Reaction score
WAS SETTING HERE THINKING ABOUT Showerheads.If i had kept those i bought and returned. Theres no way yo can warm up a shower first, especially in winter, And lets just say..a 300lb man or woman taking a shower in mandated 2.5 gal pm. Would be dry in some places and wet in others. It might become a battle to take a shower . man i am glad i got my old ones rebuilt bob s PS; All the rules laid down in what plumbing appliances are supposed to do,aren't always going to be the "rule of thumb"for everybody.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
What you CAN do verses what you MAY do are not always the same. I picked up one of my cars in Germany, and while I know I CAN drive it at 100mph and faster on a highway, at least in the USA, I MAY not do it. Course, whether you'd ever get caught or not, is something you have to consider. Just trying to make sure people understand what they MAY do and not have ramifications with the inspector.

Bob S

Reaction score
What you CAN do verses what you MAY do are not always the same. I picked up one of my cars in Germany, and while I know I CAN drive it at 100mph and faster on a highway, at least in the USA, I MAY not do it. Course, whether you'd ever get caught or not, is something you have to consider. Just trying to make sure people understand what they MAY do and not have ramifications with the inspector.

lanachurner

Reaction score
Bob,
Yeah, it's the nanny state looking out for you.
Grrr
If you still have the old head try soaking it in vinegar for a couple of days to remove deposits.
Orherwise, look at the inlet in the new head. Sometimes you can simply remove the flow restrictor. Or worst case, drill it out.

Bob S

Reaction score
Bob,
Yeah, it's the nanny state looking out for you.
Grrr
If you still have the old head try soaking it in vinegar for a couple of days to remove deposits.
Orherwise, look at the inlet in the new head. Sometimes you can simply remove the flow restrictor. Or worst case, drill it out.

Drill it out!If i had tried that being the Elcheapos they were......... i'd still be in the hospital, getting the skin sewn back on my fingers,the government mandated restrictor washer .went out immedately upon removal of the head from the packing box thank you for the tips though............-Muratic Acid did the deed on the old ones. Her and i are back in business. thank you all for the help. til next time bob s

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks