The PEX toilet riser was cut

Users who are viewing this thread

CubGirl

Reaction score
the crazy plumber cut the pex riser to the toilet. will one of those shark bite things fix this? you can see just a little bit of the riser in the pic. i'm hoping i have enough PEX that the repair is either under or above the subfloor. i don't want the repair job to be at the subfloor where the hole will have to be enlarged.

how do those sharkbites work? i read i don't need any tools. is that correct? i just stick in both ends of the PEX?

thank you...
cub
IMG_1262.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A Sharkbite should work and is tested and approved for use where it is inaccessible. They do sell a deburring tool that you might need on the cut ends of the tubing before pushing the fitting on. It champers the edge so that it goes into the fitting easier but more importantly, prevents it from nicking or slicing the o-ring seal. It's probably more important on a copper pipe than pex, though. Measure and mark the pipe and make sure you get it fully inserted into the fitting, and it should be fine.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you know what you are talking about. The picture shows what appears to be a 4" cast iron pipe and it is certainly not Pex. You need a flange to attach your toilet. The flange is supposed to set on top of the finished floor, so that has to wait until the floor is down. There are a couple of ways the flange can be attached, but is ain't with a Shark Bite. If the pipe needs to be longer, you could use a no-hub coupling with a short length of pipe that the flange would attach to. You seem to have no understanding of what you are doing, so my best advise is to hire a plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Gary, the blue PEX is barely visible on the left-hand side of the picture, and it is definitely cut short. Now, what and how they intend to deal with the toilet drain pipe, is a totally different issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

CubGirl

Reaction score
thanks... i'll try the sharkbite thing. i found the PEX bend when cleaning up the area. i think it might go to the cut-off riser. i can't wait to get this toilet done!! i need to get this place finished and rented.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Sharkbit will work for that PEX. You have plenty of room there to work with. :)

The Sharkbite is a push fit. You push together until it bottoms in the fitting. For PEX, it has an inside liner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks