Removing iron closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I would prefer using a flange with a metal ring. Sioux Chief 887-GPM has a metal ring, but it may not be the right size. It uses gasket flaps rather than having a tightening method.

After cleaning and smoothing, I would put some plumbing grease on the rubber gasket flaps before inserting. Even if you used that all-PVC inside compression flange, I would grease the rubber first. That should help the rubber slide againt the surface better as you compress to let the rubber conform to the crannies better.

Whatever you use, you will want to check that the flange you use is long enough to reach from the surface of the finished floor, where the ring should be sitting on, to the undamaged part of the pipe.

Last edited:

CubGirl

Reaction score
hi reach... yes i agree about the length of the flange. that's one reason i ordered the PVC flange instead of this cast iron one: the length. but good advice about greasing the rubber gasket on the new flange, thanks.

P.S. what kind of grease should i use??

Reach4

Reaction score
hi reach... yes i agree about the length of the flange. that's one reason i ordered the PVC flange instead of this cast iron one: the length. but good advice about greasing the rubber gasket on the new flange, thanks.

P.S. what kind of grease should i use??

Silicone grease.

There is an article on lengthening the Sioux Chief 887-GPM.

CT-Sean

Reaction score
I have the exact same setup but My current flange will be about 1" too high for my finished floor.
Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of flange is best to replace with?
Is a heavy duty cast iron Torque set, that grips around the outside of the 4" pipe better than the closet flange that goes inside and has a rubber compression ring (Expansion flange)?
this
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/toilet-flange-codeblue-c40-420.jpg
vs
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/flange-expansion-dims.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I have the exact same setup but My current flange will be about 1" too high for my finished floor.
Does anyone have an opinion on what kind of flange is best to replace with?
Is a heavy duty cast iron Torque set, that grips around the outside of the 4" pipe better than the closet flange that goes inside and has a rubber compression ring (Expansion flange)?
this
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/toilet-flange-codeblue-c40-420.jpg
vs
https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/flange-expansion-dims.jpg
The second one is much more rugged. Do you know it will fit?

CT-Sean

Reaction score
I don't know, I'm assuming I'm working with a standard 4" pipe once I get the flange off. I didn't know if the surface on the outside of the pipe or the surface on the inside of the pipe would be better for sealing purposes. I guess when I get it off I can compare.
Thanks for the input I wouldn't have expected ABS plastic to be more rugged than cast iron!
Also I saw a guy on youtube just beat the hell out of the flange with a hammer until it let go! is this an acceptable method? it seemd likely to break something!
EDIT: it came off in about ten minutes of carefully hammering the flange down then breaking the lead seal and carefully prying that up out of the gap. no Drilling required!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks