Flat vent

Users who are viewing this thread

jon m

Reaction score
Would this be considered a flat vent? There is nothing above the vent and this is a shower drain. The 2 inch pipe is longer than 5 foot to the 3 inch main drain in the house.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,091
Reaction score
The trap that you see right above the black garage door beam, that's your shower drain.

The other one that elbows off to the left, I'm pretty sure is a vent, but may be another drain. I can't tell without seeing the house on both floors and exterior. You know your own house to tell.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think this sketch describes your trap situation. That is not how it is supposed to be done.
img_3.png

jon m

Reaction score
The trap that you see right above the black garage door beam, that's your shower drain.

The other one that elbows off to the left, I'm pretty sure is a vent, but may be another drain. I can't tell without seeing the house on both floors and exterior. You know your own house to tell.
The vent going to the left is dry it only does the shower. We had an inspection and at the time the wye was laying flat with the drain. So we redid the drain and turned the wye up and had the vent come out of the top. Didn't know if this was still considered a flat drain since it is dry above it. There is no other way to vent it as there is no wall back to the right. There is a wall straight back the next floor cavity but that would require to remove half of the floor joist.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Ok what would be a solution to this then?
I would put tee on the vent put a st 90 in bottom of tee and run the waste from the 90 to the waste line past the trap.
Then run a trap arm from the tee to the trap.
That pretty much means are going to cut out all that is there and the vent above the floor.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Something like this but with a st 90 in the bottom of the tee.
And it all should fit above the bottom of the joists.

Attachments

• trap s.jpg
    trap s.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,092

jon m

Reaction score
Something like this but with a st 90 in the bottom of the tee.
And it all should fit above the bottom of the joists.
Would I need a long 90 like this or is a tee ok. I know we had to switch out some tee with wye 90.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 835

Reach4

Reaction score
After the trap goes horizontal, you need to vent between 4 inches and a few feet.

Attachments

• img_4.png
    img_4.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 836
  • img_5.png
    img_5.png
    2.2 KB · Views: 813
  • img_6.png
    img_6.png
    2.3 KB · Views: 851

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
A tee can run vertical but not Horizontal Right?
Correct you cannot use a tee on it`s back and also you do not have to use a long sweep tee or tee wye a sanitary tee will work just fine.
Just like in the picture but instead of the pipe use st 90.

Attachments

• trap s.jpg
    trap s.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 959

jon m

Reaction score
Correct you cannot use a tee on it`s back and also you do not have to use a long sweep tee or tee wye a sanitary tee will work just fine.
Just like in the picture but instead of the pipe use st 90.
Thank you for all the help.

Next question is I need to pressure test the system this is a new addition and a remodel how do I go about pressure testing it? Just cap all the new stuff and test that or does the whole system have to be tested somehow?

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The vent needs to stay within 45 degrees of vertical until 42 inches above the floor. Is there a wall downstream to run a vent straight up?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There would have been better ways to do it, because you not only have a flat vent below the level of the fixture, but ALSO created an "s" trap which made the vent useless.

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Just a couple ideas/options:

If you are in OH like your profile says, that is IPC land (like VA). You can go further than 5' on a 2" line. In fact, IPC will let you go to 8' before venting (maintain 1/4" per ft). See Table 906.1. Check with your local inspector to confirm.
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/states/oh_plumbing.pdf

If you still had too long of a distance to the closest wall for venting, you might be able to increase the line size to allow you to get there.

You might be able to wet vent the shower with the bathroom lav (can't see where it is and what size).

jon m

Reaction score
Just a couple ideas/options:

If you are in OH like your profile says, that is IPC land (like VA). You can go further than 5' on a 2" line. In fact, IPC will let you go to 8' before venting (maintain 1/4" per ft). See Table 906.1. Check with your local inspector to confirm.
https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code/states/oh_plumbing.pdf

If you still had too long of a distance to the closest wall for venting, you might be able to increase the line size to allow you to get there.

You might be able to wet vent the shower with the bathroom lav (can't see where it is and what size).
Are they using the ipc 2006?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks