Which wax ring?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spta97

Reaction score
I searched and could not find a clear answer.

I have a toilet to install in my remodeled bathroom. The flange is sitting on top of the finished tile floor as it should and will be bolted down before the toilet goes in.

Upstairs I used a was ring with the horn as I was told it is better (no issues with that one).

However, I read now that the horn can cause splashing and wear away the wax.

Is there a preference? And is a thicker wax ring better or should the standard height be used?

Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
When only one wax ring is necessary as in your case, do not use the horned ring. The only time the horned ring should be use is when the flange is below the finished floor and two rings are needed. In that case, the plain ring goes on first and the horned ring on top of that. If a flange is just slightly below the top of the floor, the thicker ring will be in order. That's like if a new vinyl floor has been laid around the flange so the flange is about 1/8" or so below the top of the floor.

Spta97

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Should I replace the one upstairs at some point for a non horned ring? The upstairs flange is on the finished floor as well. That toilet is power assisted if that makes a difference.

Also, one more question if you would. I see a lot of people recommend caulking around the base. I have never had the need to do so and it makes it a real pita to remove the toilet if required. What is your preference?

I've heard of peoe using plaster of Paris which keeps the toilet stable and breaks easy if you need to remove. That sounds better than caulk to me.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Polyseamseal caulk works and can be removed. In many places, code requires the toilet to be sealed which is more of a sanitary issue. You leave the back open to help show if there's a leak.

The issue with the horns on rings is that the shape of some toilet flanges...once pressed into the flange, it can be partially crimped shut. Also, if the distance between the toilet and the flange is minimal (some flanges are taller than others), you could squish out all of the wax and have a porcelain to flange with no wax left in place - only the plastic horn. Normally, that isn't an issue, but could be. So, it's normally just safer to not use one with a horn.

Spta97

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I did some research on the caulking and the polyseamseal seems only to come in clear. There is a product of the same name by loctite that that comes in white but not sure if it is the same product as the white and blue tube.

I'm still not crazy about it and don't have any issues with non caulked toilets so I'll have to think about it.

Oatley offers a 10 year warranty on the horn vs 3 year on the non horn.

I've got both so I'll have to see if there is an issue with fitment with the horn.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think it used to be polyseamseal 1515861. Looks like they have reorganized the line. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/sealants.shtml

loctite-tub-tile.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As far as replacing the horned wax ring, my advice is if it ain't broke don't fix it. On the caulking, there's several choices and I think it's pretty much a draw on which is best. I've had good success with Dap, it's latex and comes in a red tube, and doesn't use a plunger tool. Don't know if it works any better than others. I use a wet finger to smooth it, wiping the finger as it picks up access. The wet finger leaves a nice smooth finish. It's easy to remove if necessary. I pretty sure any brand of latex caulk would work just as well, and I don't own stock in the Dap company.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks