Process I used:

Need:
Eye protection goggles
Notrile gloves
2 small sponges
HD Zep Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover

Process:

Wet both sponges, lightly wring out.
Turn off water at toilet. Hopefully it is a 1/4 turn valve.
Fully flush toilet (Water will still be at the bottom of the bowl - do not sponge out.)

Put on nitrile gloves and eye protection.

Pour ZEP onto first sponge.

The second you start to clean the toilet bowl you have a maximum 40 seconds to turn on the water valve and 60 seconds before you have to flush the toilet.

Clean the underside of the bowl, under the rim (while trying to get ZEP up and into the rim holes.) Start counting 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi ...

At the 10 second mark clean the bowl on the inside until you hit the water mark. Plunge the sponge into the bowl water and squeeze twice so that the sponge is fully wet.

Repour some ZEP onto the sponge.

Re-clean the rim holes, paying particular attention to the front protrusion and trying to get all the rim holes saturated with ZEP, continue cleaning the rest of the inside bowl area.

At the 40 second mark turn on the valve water and let the tank fill up as you continue cleaning the rim underside and wherever there is rust, lime and calcium build up. At the 60 second mark fully flush the toilet (using your non-nitrile gloved hand to flush the toilet.)

Once the waterspot water level is back to the usual level, immerse the sponge under the water and squeeze out as much of the cleaner out as possible. Clean the rim holes again with the soaking sponge. Wring out the sponge over the water spot. Put the sponge to the side.

Flush the toilet, use the second sponge, dripping wet, to clean under the rim and the bowl area above the water spot.

Flush the toilet.

The bowl should now be nice and clean.

After it has finished flushing and

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
QUICK & EASY

Wearing eye and skin protection (gloves) and with good ventilation, pour a half gallon of "green" muriatic acid through a funnel into the overflow tube of the flush valve inside the tank. Wait 30 minutes. Brush the entire bowl thoroughly, with particular attention to the under-rim and siphon jet areas. Flush. You're done.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Take the water out of the bowl and put a gallon of vinegar in and let it soak.

If you remove the water and replace it with vinegar you will probably need to plug up the waste outlet as most stains are above the water line and just adding vinegar the bowl will drain to the usual level, which is probably below the stain line. It also doesn't clean the lime under the rim.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
QUICK & EASY

... pour a half gallon of "green" muriatic acid through a funnel into the overflow tube of the flush valve inside the tank. Wait 30 minutes.

It might be better to use "Goof Off Rust Stain Remover for the Bathroom". Available at Home Depot. How much? I have no idea. I think I paid about $9 for a gallon of the 'ZEP Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover' at Home Depot.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
It might be better to use "Goof Off Rust Stain Remover for the Bathroom". Available at Home Depot. How much? I have no idea. I think I paid about $9 for a gallon of the 'ZEP Calcium, Lime and Rust Remover' at Home Depot.
The Goof Off product might be okay (I've never used it) if rust stains are the only problem, but it won't dissolve the mineral build-up in the rim channel as will the muriatic acid. The "green" type doesn't have all the terrible fumes and a gallon is about $8 at Lowe's.

Reach4

Reaction score
The "green" type doesn't have all the terrible fumes and a gallon is about $8 at Lowe's.

The MSDS http://www.jasco-help.com/uploads/general/Jasco_Green_Muriatic_Acid_GJGMA420_MSDS.pdf says "Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} 20.0 %"

I have thought it would be good to build a little form-fitting shelf with an acid resistant material that would concentrate a chemical at the water line. I have not come up with anything to accomplish that. I wonder if dropping the water by 0.5 inch and pouring 0.4 inch of melted wax on top of the water would work.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
The MSDS http://www.jasco-help.com/uploads/general/Jasco_Green_Muriatic_Acid_GJGMA420_MSDS.pdf says "Hydrochloric acid {Hydrogen chloride} 20.0 %"

I have thought it would be good to build a little form-fitting shelf with an acid resistant material that would concentrate a chemical at the water line. I have not come up with anything to accomplish that. I wonder if dropping the water by 0.5 inch and pouring 0.4 inch of melted wax on top of the water would work.
The fact that it is "acid" indicates that it should not be used carelessly. Any reasonably responsible adult should be able to handle the task. Depending on where you live, what you breathe outside (or inside, for that matter) causes as much harm as a few minutes of exposure to green muriatic acid. I should add, however, that muriatic acid can be harmful to septic systems. If you're on septic and descale your toilet with muriatic acid, stuff an old towel into the toilet trapway to absorb the acid. Flushing a little acid residue won't hurt, but don't flush any sizeable quantity -- such as a half gallon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks