Rising water level in Toto - fill valve and/or flush valve issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

duclad

Reaction score
I don't know much about the inner workings of toilets, so please be patient. I have a Toto 1.28 gpf, not sure exactly which model, installation instructions list CST423EF/CST454CEF/CST744EL etc. Anyway, about every week or two, I hear a steady dripping and find that water from the fill valve tube is dripping into the overflow tube. If I flush it, it stops, for a week or so. Also, after the flush, the water level is about an inch below the top of the overflow tube but it gradually creeps up to the very top of the tube. So does the fill valve (Type A) need to be replaced? I'm wondering too about the flush valve - I put food coloring in the tank and after a while it had leaked into the bowl.,,this after first cleaning the flapper, then replacing it and using emery cloth on the opening. So is this all a problem with the fill valve (which no longer is available) or, given that the food coloring gets into the bowl, despite a new flapper, does that indicate the flush valve also is shot? Thanks for any help, hope that was clear enough for diagnostics.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get a water pressure gauge. You can find them for under $20. If your water pressure rises to over 100 PSI, that can cause water to force its way through the fill valve.

I don't know the model numbers. If your fill valve is one that takes one of these, they are cheap and easy: http://www.korky.com/fill-valves/replacement-cap-assembly-fill-valve If that does not fix it or your fill valve does not take it, replace the fill valve with a Korky 528MP.

Let's hope the food color flowed into the bowl via the overflow tube.

You can go here to find some numbers known to work with your toilet: http://m.korky.com/home.php

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the fill valve is leaking, and it is left long enough, it will dilute all of the dye you put in the tank, and then the so you may not see any since it is all flushed out. Really sounds like the seal in the fill valve is leaking. HD and most any hardware or plumbing supply house carries the replacement seal, and you can replace it with no tools in a few minutes...quicker the second time you need to do it. Note, Toto uses more than one kind of fill valve...that only works on those made for them by Korky. The others need to be replaced to solve the problem. Toto will probably send you the part for free if you call them, but I'd probably buy one and use their free one as a spare to keep around for the next time. HOw long, depends on your water quality and how often it is flushed, and your water pressure. High water pressure means it needs to raise the float microscopically further, and exert more pressure on the seal to make it stop. Levers will do that...

duclad

Reaction score
I would get a water pressure gauge. You can find them for under $20. If your water pressure rises to over 100 PSI, that can cause water to force its way through the fill valve.

I don't know the model numbers. If your fill valve is one that takes one of these, they are cheap and easy: http://www.korky.com/fill-valves/replacement-cap-assembly-fill-valve If that does not fix it or your fill valve does not take it, replace the fill valve with a Korky 528MP.

Let's hope the food color flowed into the bowl via the overflow tube.

You can go here to find some numbers known to work with your toilet: http://m.korky.com/home.php

I don't think my fill valve, given it's more retangular or oblong shape, would take this cap, so I guess I should
try changing the whole fill valve out to the Korky 528MP. Is that a universal fit for all Totos? I've never done a fill valve, so I'm wondering if any special tools are needed, whether there are decent directions that come with it, or there is anything in particular that is tricky. Or should I punt and call in a plumber? (I usually like to do things myself if I can but "a man has to know his limits" too.) From rooting around the internet, it seems like changing out the fill valve is less involved than changing the flush valve, is that correct? Thanks a lot for the help.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Reaction score
It's pretty simple to change one (usually all you need is a pair of pliers to remove then tighten the new nut that holds it in place) with the instructions supplied. Korky has a video you can watch, but it's pretty simple. Unless the flexible hose is fairly new, replace that at the same time. They'll work fine for a long time, but moving them around while removing and replacing, makes it safer, and they're cheap, too.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Yeah, the 528MP will work in all Toto toilets, except the in-wall ones and the Neorest.

Swapping a fill valve is the easiest DIY thing to do in your toilet. It will take you like 15 minutes the first time, but allow 30. The next time you do it, it will take 5 minutes.

The Korky video says the right thing but displays the wrong thing relating to adjusting the bowl fill. If the water level is too high in the bowl, you turn the little valve on the refill hose counterclockwise to reduce the flow into the bowl; if it's too low, you turn clockwise to increase the flow into the bowl. The audio gets it right, the stuff on the screen is backwards (wrong). You would figure that out in 2 seconds, but you might as well hear it from me first. I like the Korky videos. That nice Wisconsin girl Jules can do it, so so can I! Here's the video:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I'm wondering if any special tools are needed

You might find that a good pair of channel locks or pliers will make it easier to loosen the nut under the fill valve, but sometimes you can just do it by hand. It all depends. Otherwise, a sponge is nice to get the water out of the bottom of the tank, although these days I just flush it, put a bucket under the hole for the fill valve, and let the remaining water drop into the bowl. Some plumbers use a little baster-like suction thing to get that little bit of residual water that's left in the bottom of the tank after flushing (or you could use a wet/dry vac), but it's SO unnecessary when a sponge (squeeze it out into the bowl - duh) can get it up, or you can use my method and just let it drip into the bucket.

duclad

Reaction score
You might find that a good pair of channel locks or pliers will make it easier to loosen the nut under the fill valve, but sometimes you can just do it by hand. It all depends. Otherwise, a sponge is nice to get the water out of the bottom of the tank, although these days I just flush it, put a bucket under the hole for the fill valve, and let the remaining water drop into the bowl. Some plumbers use a little baster-like suction thing to get that little bit of residual water that's left in the bottom of the tank after flushing (or you could use a wet/dry vac), but it's SO unnecessary when a sponge (squeeze it out into the bowl - duh) can get it up, or you can use my method and just let it drip into the bucket.

Man, thanks so much, for the video (I love videos for home repairs!), the headups up on audio-visual conflict, the tips on remaining water (bucket sounds good to me but I already have one of those basters just in case), all of it. This site is awesome!

Last edited:

duclad

Reaction score
Got it installed with no major drama and, after an hour, the water level has held steady about 3/8 inch below top of overflow tube (is that okay or should it be a little lower?), and, fingers crossed, no sign of food dye I put in tank again showing up in the bowl. I'm pumped! Thank you guys!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
IF there isn't a mark on the tank for water level, what you have should be okay.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks