Help identifying pipe and reconfiguration

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Hello all,

This is in my basement. Previous owners had ran the bathroom exhaust fan into this. I went to remove that and try to run it outside on its own. However when I did that the pipe itself started leaking from the taped joints.
Can someone identify exactly what this is? and what steps should be done to fix it? Its the pipe on left.
20151031_122934.jpg
20151031_122924.jpg
20151031_122946.jpg
20151031_122915.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
The part into the basement floor could be some kind of radon remediation provision or attempt. The stuff above the floor was clearly not done professionally. The fitting might have been where the previous owner tried to exhaust his clandestine basement home gardening smells.

That sewer cleanout does not seem useful as it is. Maybe that was accessible before that insulation was put into place, but if that is an outside wall on the other side of the insulation, that tells you how badly stuff was done.

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
It's not an exterior wall. Just a closet built in middle of basement with furnace, main drain pipe and that pipe. I can cut drywall on other side. Maybe they insulated for noise reduction?
That was my first thought was some sort of radon, which having the bath fan tapped into kinda defeated the purpose. But I wasn't sure if that's what it was and why it's all taped up

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sure looks like a hack job to me. If the wall blocking the clean out was put up after the plumbing, that might be an excuse, but the vent is a real piece of crap. That's technical talk to describe work done that is not nicely or properly done.

Chris Wagner

Reaction score
Well the tee was too big for the pipes even though they are both 3". Not glued in that's what the tape was for. I couldn't find a 3" fitting so just used some fernco.

Attachments

• 20151031_164250.jpg
    20151031_164250.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 177
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks