Budget toilet choice (want a Toto! can't have one)

Users who are viewing this thread

awest

Reaction score
We are in the process of building a home right now. Per the reviews, the Toto ones look awesome. But! Our builder spec'd a toilet at $110/ea. We need 3. (The American Standard Colony is the one in our spec list.)

Round front is fine (I know elongated is popular, but we're open to either one). We're already over budget in a bunch of other spots and I can't do $300 more in toilets to get 3 Totos.

So....what would you buy for $110 or thereabouts?

awest

Reaction score
We are in the process of building a home right now. Per the reviews, the Toto ones look awesome. But! Our builder spec'd a toilet at $110/ea. We need 3. (The American Standard Colony is the one in our spec list.)

Round front is fine (I know elongated is popular, but we're open to either one). We're already over budget in a bunch of other spots and I can't do $300 more in toilets to get 3 Totos.

ETA: By the way...reading these reviews had me howling.
“And the reviews on the Totos of course have a couple of detractors, but mostly are ravingly-favorable. Like the guy who said that his wife bought him a Toto for his birthday and a week had gone by and she was annoyed that every time he flushes the toilet, he yells out "TOTO!!!" with complete delight because it's so much better than his previous toilet.” TOTO!

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
at $110 I think the best you're gonna get is a Gerber Maxwell, maybe a Colony (don't have much experience with those but have seen one and didn't care for it). Stay very far away from the Mansfield Alto. They were bad before, now they've redesigned them and they're actually WORSE. In my area I can get an Elongated Toto Entrada for $150. If you can find one for that price, that's a steal and I would up the budget to that if you can get one for that much.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I feel your pain about over budget. Fact is however, you're looking a what is commonly referred to as "builder grade". These a cheap, low quality toilets that meet the basic requirements of being a functioning device, but are prone to poor performance and frequent clogging. Plumbers like Terry Love make a good living replacing these within a few months after the home is sold. This isn't going to help you much I know, but you should know what you are facing sooner or later and most likely sooner. On a more positive note, some of the other manufacturers have begun to make some better performers that in the past, so maybe you'll get lucky. BTW, Toto's are usually available for quite a bit less that list price. Might want call some dealers and see what they will do. Leave the builder out of the deal.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score

You absolutely can't go wrong with the $99 AquaSource from Lowe's. I own one myself and have installed at least a half dozen for friends and family members. It is (surprisingly, because of the price) of excellent quality and performs as good or better than what's considered by some to be the best of them. It is elongated, ADA height, has a large water spot in the bowl, and takes readily available universal repair parts. The MaP rating is >=1,000 grams, which is the highest. The only complaints about it have to do with the included plastic seat. I find the seat to be adequate for its intended purpose. I suppose if you're 250+ pounds and want to sit on the closed lid, there could be an issue.

$99 is for white. "Biscuit" is $165. Here's the MaP page:
http://www.map-testing.com/map-search.html?type=map_search_option&mt_manufacturers=15220&mt_manufacturer=&mt_names=null&mt_name=&mt_model=0098923&mt_report=&mt_attribute_mapflushscore=null&search-type=map_search_option&mt_attribute_floororwallmounted=null&mt_attribute_pieces=null&mt_attribute_bowlshape=null&mt_attribute_pressureassistorgravityfed=null&Search=Search

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
You absolutely can't go wrong with the $99 AquaSource from Lowe's. I own one myself and have installed at least a half dozen for friends and family members. It is (surprisingly, because of the price) of excellent quality and performs as good or better than what's considered by some to be the best of them. It is elongated, ADA height, has a large water spot in the bowl, and takes readily available universal repair parts. The MaP rating is >=1,000 grams, which is the highest. The only complaints about it have to do with the included plastic seat. I find the seat to be adequate for its intended purpose. I suppose if you're 250+ pounds and want to sit on the closed lid, there could be an issue.

$99 is for white. "Biscuit" is $165. Here's the MaP page:
http://www.map-testing.com/map-sear...pressureassistorgravityfed=null&Search=Search

Last edited:

awest

Reaction score
Does that one come in non-ADA? We want bowls as low as we can get (little kids will be using 2 out of 3 of these the most frequently). $99 sounds good to me! Thanks!

awest

Reaction score
I just saw that there are some lower budget Totos. Are they not as good as the Drake or the other one I keep seeing mentioned here?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Entrada is the least expensive Toto you want. It can be had for a good price, but not $110. If you are building a house, you will thank yourself for spending the extra 40 or 50 bucks per toilet to get a good one.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
Does that one come in non-ADA? We want bowls as low as we can get (little kids will be using 2 out of 3 of these the most frequently). $99 sounds good to me! Thanks!
It does. The non-ADA has a round bowl, and it's $88. Everything else about it is the same as the earlier mentioned ADA elongated for $99. Lowe's item number for the standard height round is 12293 and the ADA elongated is 98923.

You will find that the majority of people posting on this site have a fierce loyalty to Toto, the exception being The Universal Dave, who's a Kohler fan. Toto and Kohler are great, but you stated in your initial post that your budget is $110. It does seem unbelievable that the toilets I'm recommending for you could be anything other than junk because of the price, but that is simply not the case. As I said, I have one and so do a number of my friends and relatives -- installation courtesy of me -- and everyone's very happy. I have so much confidence in this product that I would buy it if my toilet budget was unlimited and put the extra toilet money in a college fund for my kids, something nicer for the house, etc.

Pourboy

Reaction score
So glad you asked, recently upgraded to a dual flush, ada, elongated ferguson, Go Polk High! I think Al would approve, and give Peg's knees a break. Want to tell the world, sell the world on this product and others like it. Hopefully we're early enough to make the changes through the builder, if they're willing and able to do this for you. I got mine at local big box store and was cheapest of this type. But there are Contractor grade models to fit the bill. A little on the specs first off its dual flush one for #1 one for #2, elongated for comfort in true throne fashion, so it's a water saver and provides luxury of higher priced models. Trust your plumber to provide you economical and quality fixtures,act now your generic options may already be on order. Most importantly congrats on your new home!

For Universal and the kiddos
zaa76529_169.jpg

this is a Kohler primary comm water closet, not very practical at home ok but why not have what you want, think you should have one for yall one for the kids and one for the guest bath

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some telltale signs, often readily visible upon inspection, that will give you an idea of whether a toilet will work well.

First, look at it from the side and study the trapway. You want one that makes smooth curves and no sharp angles. THen, look at the insides and see if it uses some weird flushing mechanism (Kohler is famous for this on some of their stuff) - you want stuff that is readily available and not cost an arm and a leg to repair when the time comes (and they all need it eventually). The last thing is how well was it actually built...Toto has very good quality control and probably the lowest defect rate in the industry. A great toilet that has a defect is no longer a great toilet! That rarely happens with Toto. So, to overcome some of that, you need to inspect the things carefully. Check the floor for level, set the toilet down on the floor, and see if it rocks, and if the top is level. ARe there any chips, sags, or other defects visible.

But, the end test is how it works for you in your home. The MAP tests don't do a great job of testing for things like bowl wash or the kids emptying a roll of TP into the thing, or someone that creates logs. The MAP tests uses plastic wrapped paste, so it is very smooth, and not a true representation of the real thing. It is repeatable, though. The guy who designed that test says anything over 500g should be fine. SOme manufacturers design for big numbers that don't actually work that well in the real world.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
You will find that the majority of people posting on this site have a fierce loyalty to Toto, the exception being The Universal Dave, who's a Kohler fan.

Part of that is looks, some Totos having some beautiful lines. A lot of toilets have ugly tanks. I look at them and say, "I wouldn't want that in my house."

I saw one toilet at HD that was regular height and it had a nice sweeping trapway. It cost about $80, iirc. I would have bought that before I bought a Kohler with its 90° trapway. No, I can't remember what the tank looked like because I was more taken with a toilet that had a good trapway.

Magneto

Reaction score
I had a similar problem about 6 months ago, I was looking for a new toilet and not trying too spend too much. Here's the tricky thing with toilets, as someone else stated above spending the extra few bucks will be well worth it in the near future. You can't go wrong with TOTO, but there are plenty of online stores that sell great toilets for half the price. I ended up settling on this toilet which is working great for me and they even have free shipping. http://www.canarsee.com/plumbing/pl.../toilets/regent-style-elongated-tank-and-bowl

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks