My TOTO Experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
image.jpeg
Today I had to go to the dentist's office, and while I was there, I had the misfortune of using a TOTO Drake. I was sitting in the waiting room when I got the urge, and I remembered that they have a TOTO Drake. So I was like "oh GREAT a TOTO, I sure hope it doesn't CLOG." Guess what? It CLOGGED. And I didn't even try to clog it. Maybe they have improved the flushing system since then - I don't know. And quite frankly, I don't care. Here's the video

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Dave, This is about what I expect from you. Too bad you don't have a picture of the clog. I wonder why.
Everything looks very nice there.

Wallijonn

Reaction score
At work a non-Toto toilet clogged - to the point that the water in the bowl came right up to the rim. People at work throw their waste paper hand towels into the toilet and it causes clogs.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I've heard this story all too much from people using Drakes in commercial bathrooms. I feel like perhaps people are using these and loading them down expecting them to flush as good as a Kingston or similar with the flushometer cranked to full blast at 80 PSI, and that's how we end up with these problems. That particular Drake does appear just a touch weaker then normal to me.

I would be lying out my @SS if I said I had problems with Drakes myself. One of them has been in service in our house for 9 years now and I can count on one hand how many times it's clogged during normal use. I've had a second one in service for 4 years, my own personal DD and it too never clogged on me, and I'm not one to be "gentle" on a toilet.

A month ago we had some guests stay over for awhile. One of them had the audacity to help herself to the master bathroom which had a Cadet Pro in it, and she clogged it. As it turned out she was using pretty much an entire roll per sitting. That entire time she never managed to clog the Drake, while flushing whole rolls of Charmin. (I had to have a little talk with her after 8 rolls of TP disappeared in 4 days...)
I actually had to go looking for the plunger when she did that. Since putting Drakes in I never keep track of it anymore.

Reach4

Reaction score
That amount of paper is not realistic. At least double that. Especially for a dump like that In real life...
They said each ball of TP was six sheets.

What is unrealistic is that the solids have been pinched off to very short lengths. :rolleyes:

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
They said each ball of TP was six sheets.

What is unrealistic is that the solids have been pinched off to very short lengths. :rolleyes:

Yeah, probably with Scott 1000. They should be using Charmin, since the majority of people seem to use that or similar.

This is more realistic paper wise:

Unrealistic, but demonstrates what one of the better water guzzlers could do. That was Scott 1000:

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
I really don't understand all of the clogging issues people report, unless it's an issue with the drain line or abuse of toilet paper. The last toilet I managed to clog (unintentionally) was a mid-1990s Briggs builder grade. It was so bad, pee would clog it. But with all the newer improved toilets, these stories surprise me. My complaint about the Totos I had was, with as much as they're hyped, I expected perfection and was disappointed with the bowl rinse of both the Drake and the Ultramax. Mine were 1.6 GPF with G-Max. That being said, they NEVER clogged.

Gusherb94

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I really don't understand all of the clogging issues people report, unless it's an issue with the drain line or abuse of toilet paper. The last toilet I managed to clog (unintentionally) was a mid-1990s Briggs builder grade. It was so bad, pee would clog it. But with all the newer improved toilets, these stories surprise me. My complaint about the Totos I had was, with as much as they're hyped, I expected perfection and was disappointed with the bowl rinse of both the Drake and the Ultramax. Mine were 1.6 GPF with G-Max. That being said, they NEVER clogged.

You may be surprised to hear, but the Drake and Ultramax have a better bowl wash then many of the high performance low flows out there. Things like the Cadet Pro, Gerber Viper, etc are even worse. Toilets like the Cimarron or Wellworth should be about equal though.

I know Terry will be flipping his eyes in the air for saying this, but that is why I found, and installed a water guzzler that I knew had a very high waterline and lots of swirling action, because I've had it with the Brown Bowl Syndrome, and scrubbing after every sitting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have seen plenty of floor guys install the wax covering the drain. It happens.

We have sold hundreds of these puppies, over and over again. Finding one with an pen or a toothbrush in the trapway, or wax blocking the exit and you can make any and all bowls slow down. That's why they make closet augers and plumbers to go fix those things.
Dave...........What is your problem?

Last edited:

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
You may be surprised to hear, but the Drake and Ultramax have a better bowl wash then many of the high performance low flows out there. Things like the Cadet Pro, Gerber Viper, etc are even worse. Toilets like the Cimarron or Wellworth should be about equal though.

I know Terry will be flipping his eyes in the air for saying this, but that is why I found, and installed a water guzzler that I knew had a very high waterline and lots of swirling action, because I've had it with the Brown Bowl Syndrome, and scrubbing after every sitting.
I guess it all boils down to personal experience and other factors. I've installed and used both Vipers and Cadet Pros and found them highly preferable to the Totos I previously owned. The American Standard and Gerber models were the 1.6 GPF models, so I can't speak on the 1.28s.

I totally feel you on the Syndrome. Makes me really miss my 1971 American Standard elongated Cadet. Because of the tilt-valve set-up American Standard used at that time, it drained every drop of the 5 gallons in the tank with each flush, but it never left any resi-do-do behind -- above or below the bowl's water line!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks