Preferred Well Head Fittings?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshRountree

Reaction score
When the well pipe (hdpe, pvc, doesn't matter) comes out of the well seal, what's the preferred fitting?

Since I have the black poly pipe, I was thinking of using something like this - http://www.supplyhouse.com/Spears-1...nsert-x-MIPT?gclid=CJ7v_Yzu88MCFQMT7Aodjk4AYQ

Then just going to 1" pex after that. Would that work? Does anyone else have a better idea? I've seen a tee with a plug used too - http://www.buypumpswholesale.com/files/1928173/uploaded/wellhead-diagram-L.gif

Thanks, (my well head froze and I might have to pull the pump, so I want to replace the fittings, I don't have a lot of faith in the current ones lasting if I break them apart)

Reach4

Reaction score
Preferred would be to have a pitless adapter put in below the frost line, and the piping all be below the frost line until the pipe gets to where it is warm enough to not freeze.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
+1 on going pitless. Mine is about 8 feet below the top of the casing but I'm guessing in NC the frost doesn't get too deep so should be easy peasy.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Pitless sure does seem simpler now that I think about it.

I'm in the northwestern most part of NC, we saw -3 Thursday morning :(

Let's pretend due to code or something else you couldn't use a pitless, what's the preferred fittings then?

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's pretend due to code or something else you couldn't use a pitless, what's the preferred fittings then?

You said "When the well pipe (hdpe, pvc, doesn't matter) comes out of the well seal, what's the preferred fitting?"

You think you might have HDPE going through the well seal? In the case of poly, I would have thought there would be a barbed fitting below the well seal and then a metal pipe would pass through the seal. No? Something has to take the weight. If you have PVC or galvanized coming through the well seal, there would be a fitting that would take the weight and transfer the force to the well seal. Do you have a photo?

I am guessing that you have some kind of coupling on top of the well seal that you want to screw into an existing coupler, and you are thinking that a PVC right angle barbed fitting would be a good fitting to use. Brass would be better, I would think, but maybe your PVC would be OK based on its description. It is not carrying weight. But I do think that a brass or stainless fitting would better be able to survive freezing or an impact.

Regarding your diagram, it is normally best to omit the check valve shown there. The check valve at the pump is the only one you need.

Last edited:

JoshRountree

Reaction score
You said "When the well pipe (hdpe, pvc, doesn't matter) comes out of the well seal, what's the preferred fitting?"

You think you might have HDPE going through the well seal? In the case of poly, I would have thought there would be a barbed fitting below the well seal and then a metal pipe would pass through the seal. No? Something has to take the weight. If you have PVC or galvanized coming through the well seal, there would be a fitting that would take the weight and transfer the force to the well seal. Do you have a photo?

I am guessing that you have some kind of coupling on top of the well seal that you want to screw into an existing coupler, and you are thinking that a PVC right angle barbed fitting would be a good fitting to use. Brass would be better, I would think, but maybe your PVC would be OK based on its description. It is not carrying weight.

Regarding your diagram, it is normally best to omit the check valve shown there. The check valve at the pump is the only one you need.

I was thinking the poly pipe would come right through the well seal, and the well seal bolts would hold it as they were tightened. Guess not...

Would this work, black poly pipe, brass or stainless barb fitting, a brass/stainless nipple, then either a tee like in the diagram, or a 90 coming off the nipple?

See my crude drawing:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B11N4ADcYEn3cHVxbkpuOTVlSWc/view?usp=sharing

Reach4

Reaction score
That is what I would think. The lower barbed fitting would be a long-barb fitting with 2 or 3 clamps on it to take the weight. I have no experience in this, but some with poly experience should be able give insight.

JoshRountree

Reaction score
That is what I would think. The lower barbed fitting would be a long-barb fitting with 2 or 3 clamps on it to take the weight. I have no experience in this, but some with poly experience should be able give insight.

Cool, I like that idea, I've seen the long-barb fitting in a couple of places.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You don't need along insert fitting, the common ones will hold (when done correctly) 600' of pump, pipe and wire. Just be sure to double clamp it.

I don't know of anyplace where pitless adapters are against code, but there are several places where new wells can not be completed below ground with well seals.

Last edited:

JoshRountree

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks