Questions about a newly installed shower stall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Davilo

Reaction score
@ hammerlane If you get a chance could you post a photo of the tab on the bottom of one of the panels? I'm curious as to how the panel attaches to the shower pan (i.e. does the panel clip/lock into place or does the tab just slide into the notch to position the panel before securing it to the wall).

SHR

Reaction score
This kind of bs really #@*%es me off because I am now faced with having to deal with having to decide whether or not to keep this shower pan and if I do decide not to tear it out I have to decide whether to call the slits "weep holes" and leave them as they are or to id them as "side panel notches" and fill them with silicone or caulk. They already are starting to fill up with dirt which looks like #$@t. What's to prevent them from turning into little pockets of black mold?

Why do they make crap like this? And why do people purchase this stuff?

Yes, as I mentioned back in reply #8, whoever chose the shower pan you have did not know what they were doing. If you chose it, I am sorry that the salesperson did not know their product or did not care about selling you the wrong shower base for your installation. If the pro chose it, they are a hack. The info from the manufacturer confirms my initial thoughts about the base and it should work and last a long time if your cultured marble installer correctly jerry rigged the pan to walls joints. It is up to you to decide how to deal with the water collectors they left exposed in your shower.

They make shower bases like yours because if installed with the correct wall panels they make a good shower stall. People purchase them for the wrong purpose either because they are homeowners who are duped in to purchasing the wrong product or they are "pros" who do not know what they are doing.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Weep holes"? Weep holes are to send water that gets under the tile down the drain, NOT to "cause" a leak. IF they have a "bottom" then they are alignment holes. IF they do NOT have a bottom, then they are letting water flow into the space under the pan, which is not a good thing.

Davilo

Reaction score
Just to sum up this thread, the "notches" (aka "slits") in the shower pan are not weep holes and do not go all the way through the pan. They are used in conjunction with the shower walls "kit" that is sold by the company that makes the shower pan. We didn't use the wall kit so the notches served no purpose other than being an annoyance.

As recommended by the shower pan manufacturer, I filled the notches with 100% mildew resistant silicone caulk (white) in an effort to improve the aesthetics of the shower pan and to prevent dirt and mildew from collecting in the notches. The notches are no longer visible and they're no longer collecting dirt so I'm satisfied with the results.

@SHR "whoever chose the shower pan you have did not know what they were doing." Initially, that's how I felt but the guy who bought and installed the shower pan does quality work and purchased the shower pan based on guidelines set by my parents (financial and choice of store). This narrowed the choices of shower pans to the one he purchased. Needless to say, no one expected the pan to have the notches in it. If it had been me installing the shower pan I would have returned it and looked elsewhere for a decent pan, but that would have caused a minor delay and no one else wanted to invest the time needed to find a decent pan.

@HT "Weep holes"? It defies all logic. That was my reaction as well. As it turns out, they're not weep holes, although they do resemble a type of weep hole seen in some tile shower installations. As mentioned above, the notches turned out to be "alignment" slits for the shower wall panel kit sold by the pan manufacturer.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks