Black mold ??

Users who are viewing this thread

Sincraft

Reaction score
For whatever reason, there is an excessive amount of black mold that is above the water line of all of our toilets and, on the shower heads. Of all the places that I've lived, I have never seen this what so ever. And I've lived in some old run down damp dumps when I was younger...
We have someone that comes in and cleans once a week, scrubbing the tanks and faucets but it keeps returning. I've even replaced once of the faucet heads (altered for more flow) and bam, 3 months later it's turning black. I nuked the one toilet with a ton of bleach in the bowl and tank, let it sit for a few days before flushing it through and still the black mold returns.

Obviously, I'm concerned that it's in the water itself from our local facility. We don't live in the most affluent area of the state, more towards the country. Our water has gone out probably 8 times in the 3 years we have lived here (and the power once every 3 weeks but thats another topic).

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you are implying that you have chlorinated water. I would probably look into some low range test strips to make sure there is a little residual chlorine or chloramine in your incoming water. I would look for strips that could detect 0.2 ppm of chlorine. Incoming water should have at least that much I think. If you really do have black mold as you think, I would be looking to disinfect the plumbing much as I would do for a well.

I am suspecting that your black stuff may be something other than mold. If you put a teaspoon of bleach in a cup of water, will that solution quickly get rid of your surface black stuff without scrubbing? I am thinking it would with mold. If it does not, I wonder if it might be some other thing producing the black. I have no experience with what that would be. I am wondering about sediment, manganese, or sulfur.

Asking your local water supplier if they have an idea could be useful.

SHR

Reaction score
I have been involved in many mold remediations and your problem is common in homes with black mold problems. Have your home checked for mold.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe try a water filter system with an ultraviolet component to nuke the bugger-bears in the water. If you're out there in the two-wire boonies you may not be getting water that has been properly blasted by chemicals to neutralize the Amish past-due black pepper disposal terrorist plot. Surf's up, dude.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks