Antisiphon Valve Headache, Just Weld It Shut?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry709

Reaction score
Yeh, it's a dangerous world! This one is not at the top of my "scarey stuff" list.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Yeh, it's a dangerous world! This one is not at the top of my "scarey stuff" list.

It sure is.

We need to be more worried about that little boy that has been pissing in the river when he goes fishing, or swimming.

And places that recycle septic water for drinking.

Watch out for that yellow snow.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Human attitude is often, if it doesn't affect me, why should I bother. This is the reason why we implemented laws and codes for society to abide by - to protect people from themselves and others. Nobody can think of every permutation of possibilities, but as we evolve, the laws and codes get modified to protect people from those 'what if' situations. You could always move to someplace like Sudan, where nobody abides by the few laws they have, and plumbing codes are pretty much non-existent...then, see what your quality of life is like.

There are costs, both personal and group, for living in a society, and most of the laws and codes are there for help improve life.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Human attitude is often, if it doesn't affect me, why should I bother. This is the reason why we implemented laws and codes for society to abide by - to protect people from themselves and others. Nobody can think of every permutation of possibilities, but as we evolve, the laws and codes get modified to protect people from those 'what if' situations. You could always move to someplace like Sudan, where nobody abides by the few laws they have, and plumbing codes are pretty much non-existent...then, see what your quality of life is like.

There are costs, both personal and group, for living in a society, and most of the laws and codes are there for help improve life.

This is why many municipalities are requiring check valves at the meters. That way its just you and your family that are in danger.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thank you! Neighbors' safety too, you say jadnashua ? What's that about? Toilet, sprinklers, kitchen sprayer. Wow, I don't know how we survived all these years w/o these things, huh. My parents, my grandparents. Lived with the old system and never a problem with back siphon.
Well....mine is welded shut w/o a squirt or a drip and I think I'll just live with the odds of the siphon scenario ever happening. The hose has a pressure nozzle on it. It is never submerged in a pool or fountain, etc. I suppose anything is possible, but I think I'll just embrace a little peace of mind for now. Plenty of other things to worry about. But thanks again for the input! Best wishes to all!

So your willing to gamble your families lives vs a bit of hassle to purchase the right part and install it? There have been deaths that were caused by this type of backflow but gamble away.

DougB

Reaction score
Check valves I have no problem with. But the anti-siphon crap-o-la faucets that dribble all over the place are a PITA. Last year we had a drought, and I wanted to gently water around some trees, for a couple hrs at a very low gpm. Try and turn on one of those anti-siphon faucets just a little - the water comes out the relief. I'm an engineer and I hate them too!

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Check valves I have no problem with. But the anti-siphon crap-o-la faucets that dribble all over the place are a PITA. Last year we had a drought, and I wanted to gently water around some trees, for a couple hrs at a very low gpm. Try and turn on one of those anti-siphon faucets just a little - the water comes out the relief. I'm an engineer and I hate them too!

If code says that you need to use them, Then you should.

They are made to leak. That is how they work, a air leak can be a water leak as well.

They can waste water, then if you have none to drink, you do not need to worry about it.

Many places have Banded outdoor watering, and washing cars.

Fishing has been banned also, So you do not piss in the river or pond while drinking beer and fishing.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
I don't know why he asked the question in the first place when he would only accept one answer and was going to glue the thing shut anyway.

Reach4

Reaction score

I dealt with the same kind of anti-siphon this weekend. However I found a compatible repair kit.

I should have paid more attention to your posting. That white piece has two threads.... one for the outer cap, but the white piece has a smaller thread (about 0.90 inches and 20 TPI) that threads into the faucet. I pried the old insert out after unscrewing the cap. The replacement came with its own pop-on/off cap, but the smaller thread matched.

Prier Mansfield Vacuum Breaker Replacement Kit Model Number: 630-7500
"Repairs Mansfield 400/500 Series and NIBCO 90 Series"
PRI-630-7500.JPG

Bluebinky

Reaction score
... What's that about? Toilet, sprinklers, kitchen sprayer. Wow, I don't know how we survived all these years w/o these things, huh. My parents, my grandparents. Lived with the old system and never a problem with back siphon...
In the "good ol days", how many people got sick and died for no apparent reason? Surgeons got by fine for years only washing their hands after an operation -- why wash up when you are just going to get dirty again...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks