Old fashioned leaky taps non-repairable?

Users who are viewing this thread

spiral

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a landlord who is refusing to repair my gorgeous old leaky taps anymore. He has tried to fix them a couple times and they only get more leaky, so now he's claiming that they aren't repairable. I strongly disagree, and think parts are more readily available than he thinks here in Canada (Victoria, BC). I am hoping you folks out there can back me up after looking at the photos of these MUELLER old fashioned taps I have attached. I need a washer and/or cartridge replacement for both the hot and cold taps to keep this tapset here... and so that the owner doesn't replace it and the whole sink with it. As you can see from the photo the closed tap is leaking quite a bit, about a litre of water every three minutes now. Help!

Cheers, Tim :-(

20140405_120646.jpg20140405_120657.jpg.

SHR

Reaction score
I bet they are easily repaired. Replace washers and resurface seats you should be good. And for goodness sake, when you work on these faucets use an adjustable wrench or at least a tool without teeth so as not to mar the finish anymore.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"resurface the seats" is easy to say, but much harder to do properly. When you try, there are only two results. Either you did it correctly and the faucet doesn't drip, or you didn't and you have to throw the faucet away. I have a pair I am working on now. Either I find my seat dressing kit, which I have not seen since I bought this truck 3 years ago, and have not used for over 30 years, or I try to find her a pair of "vintage looking" faucets. However, until the faucet is taken apart, you do not know if this faucet has replaceable seats, which would make the repair much easier.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks