Kohler toilet canister valve not staying up

Users who are viewing this thread

jdevo

Reaction score
I have a Kohler toilet model K4632 with a class 5 canister valve assembly. I installed it about a year ago and it was working fine. Now the canister does not stay up long enough to allow enough water into the tank to flush anything. Is there something I can adjust or do I need a new canister?

kohler_canister.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Check the chain to the lever make sure it isn't tangled.

k-3999_8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jdevo

Reaction score
Can I replace the canister with a conventional flap?

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the chain. It was not kinked and had very little slack. I even took the lack out of it till it sits taunt and as soon as the canister lifts it going back down not allowing enough water into the bowl. Can I replace the canister with a conventional flap?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Either the canister is not raising high enough to get out of the suction during the flush, or it become waterlogged so it is too heavy to float in the water. IF it has been a year or so, call 1-800-4KOHLER and see if they will replace the cannister.

dorado366

Reaction score
jdevo,
I noticed your post regarding the canister and having a problem with it not staying up long enough to flush anything. I'm a technician for a bunch of banks and I just acquired a bank that has 3 of these Kohler class 5's. They're doing the same thing, not flushing right. They say that they have never really worked right and that they've always had to hold the handle down in order to flush right. Anyway, did you resolve your situation? I've never seen one of these flush valves but I took it apart and couldn't figure out why it goes down so quickly. Hope to hear from you, Danny.

TM8

Reaction score
I know this post is old...but I wanted to reply with how I solved this problem in case it can help anyone else. After having the Fluidmaster valve replaced, I had the same problem. The canister would fall too fast and not enough water would go into the bowl to flush it. A plumber couldn't even figure out how to fix it and said I'd just have to hold the handle down for several seconds each time. Well with several young children in my house, they were never going to be able to get it to flush each time. I finally realized the Fluidmaster float needed to go up much higher to keep the water level higher in the tank. This keeps the canister "flapper" thing buoyant long enough for the proper amount of water to get into the bowl and flush it. I did have to remove the fine adjustment rod on the side of the Fluidmaster unit in order to be able to turn the unit 360 while pulling up to get it to rise (the adjustment rod would hit the back of the tank keeping me from turning the unit). It only went up an inch at first...which wasn't high enough to keep the canister buoyant long enough. After messing with it longer and pulling harder, it went up to the top of the tank. The water now fills to the very top of the canister (when it's seated all the way down), and this is high enough to keep it from dropping down too fast. I hope this helps someone who is as frustrated as I was!!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Here's my advice: buy a toilet with a standard flapper that you can swap out in 45 seconds for $10 or less. Like a Toto Drake.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks