Flapper number?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cygarbuff

Reaction score
Hi everyone, if this has been discussed before I apologize. I did a search but couldn't find my answer. I have four toto drakes that are 6 years old. I had bought flapper replacements as a back up and they were Thu138s. I can't find those and sites are saying it's now part Thu331s. I emailed Toto and she said it was now part Thu347s, but this one is gray and my original and replacements are red. I tried following up two more times but Toto is not responding anymore. Inside my tank it does say it's number Thu277s which now is the Thu347s Toto mentioned. So my question is what's the difference between the thu331s and the thu347s? Will they both fit? I just replaced a flapper with my last thu138s and it fits fine. I've also noticed that I have one brass lever rod and the rest plastic. Two have the black float/weight on the chain and the other two don't. All these toilets were bought at the same time and installed when the house was being built. Why doesn't everything match? Thanks

Jay

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's possible that not all of the toilets came from the same manufacturing plant...Toto has more than one, and it is often pot luck which. This isn't an issue, as their QA/QC is good at all of them. The big box stores have mostly stopped selling the specific replacement part, and sell the Korky adjustable one. This has a rotating ring on it that adjusts how quickly it drops based on the flush design of the toilet, so it will work for nearly all of the Toto line. It costs maybe a $1 or two more, but it saves them space, since they only need to stock one verses many. Korky makes most of the flapper valves for Toto toilets sold in the USA.

The THU331S is the right flapper for your older Drake. Assuming you have MS .XLS, you can view the chart here https://www.totostore.us.com/e2wItemMain.aspx?parentID=IT00003523 . I tried to convert it to a PDF, but it was too big for the forum.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Toto has tried tweaking its flappers with different designs and different materials for years. The "new" flapper is pvc rather than rubber-ish. They have differernt colors for the different material. Great. I still like the rubber-ish ones.

That said, you are overthinking this. Just get this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Korky-2021BP-G-Max-Flapper-for-TOTO-Toilet-Repairs/21799756

Korky makes flappers and fill valves for Toto. That IS a TSU331S, just in the manufacturer's box instead of a Toto box.

If you can't find that, then get this at any Lowe's: http://www.lowes.com/pd_166789-868-...t=korky&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=korky&facetInfo=

It will adjust to any Toto that uses a 3" flapper. It's what Terry uses to repair Totos in Seattle. One flapper, one fill valve, and he can repair just about any Toto.

Cygarbuff

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I appreciate the info and links. I have to admit that it started getting overwhelming while I was chasing these part numbers and then the new superseded numbers etc.. I agree that I started to over think it. Thank you for clarifying and simplifying.

Jay

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Go someplace that has an assortment of flappers and buy the "big" red, or green one that says it is for a Toto toilet. i have never used an OEM flapper, because they do not make them. They buy them from the same company that the stores do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks