Drilling a well. Going to need alot of advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

spiral_72

Reaction score
I used the usgs site to find the water table level in my area. I would think this gives you an indication of what to expect. You'll need to know the the height of your house above or below the sample data ground to get a real depth. My house is on a hill approximately 60ft above the sample location for example. For a guess I'd add 60ft to the value shown.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov

Random thoughts that may not help in the least. disregard any or all you see fit:

My first thought was to purchase a hand pump to clear the well, but at 120ft it's too deep for an inexpensive hand pump.

While I'm not an expert or even a plumber, I have just recently been faced with a similar situation except the water in the neighbor's well was clean. No one lives on the land so I borrowed the well 250ft away. I used a regular drop cord of suitable length and calculated wire size to (GASP!) run 220V to the alternate well. After it was all done I was out $100 but had water.

Buy a reputable 3/4hp pump and PE flex pipe to clear your neighbor's well and assess the quality of the well and water. If it doesn't pan out, at least you have the pump for your well you need to have bored. I would think it should be cleared of large debris so the pump doesn't ingest a bunch of crap. Maybe a 2ft length of PVC pipe big as fits inside the well casing with a flap valve (even a hand made one) on the bottom and a rope to hoist it in and out? Be assured someone will complain given enough time, so this might get you water until you have the resources to have your own bored. Once or if the well is producing clean water you might consider shocking the well for 48hrs then pumping the contents out on the ground several times.

2500gal of water would weigh 21,000 lbs. Buying a tank would be quite expensive ( a semi tanker? :) ) or be a significant project to build out of wood. "I" wouldn't consider that a long term solution. If you did and while kind of bizarre, Fred's a convenience store here had an above ground pool kit last summer for literally like $250. Every redneck in my area bought one ( I thought about buying one YEEHAAW). It was maybe 10-12ft diameter and maybe 3-4ft deep so maybe 1,600+gal? You'd need a lid of some sort but that'd make a heck of a reservoir though I'm not sure I'd drink from it. If you go the huge tank route you would need TWO smaller 1/2hp pumps, right?

Last edited:

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Yes I will most likely go the huge storage tank route .If I drill a well and hit nothing then I will lose that money and have nothing but a dry hole and right now I can`t afford to do that .I figure I can gravity feed from the spring to my tank and from there to my house not sure I may have to use some kind of smaller pump there to get better water flow from the spring to the tank. I`m seriously thinking of just putting a submersible pump into the storage tank to pump to the pressure tank system in the house. That way I can also use the submersible to drop in that well and pump the water to see if it still runs good water or not and if it does then I could clean it out put some bleach in and run PE pipe from the well and use it.

Johnny Turner

Reaction score
Got a submersible pump today for 420$ paid an extra 50$ for 3 year warranty so has a total of 4 years .It`s a 3/4 hp countyline CLA202 230v 2 wire 10 GPM .Going to try and bail alot of water out of that well by hand tomorrow.Don`t want to drop this pump into it unless I can either figure a way to clean it up or get someone to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks