1 - 1/2 hp irrigation pump rebuild?

Users who are viewing this thread

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
I have a big 1-11/2 hp irrigation pump I need to fix. Motor is good, but impeller seems to be froze up. Need some guidance, before I tear into it and mess something up.

I can take a picture, but I am not sure I can tell what brand this is.

When I turn on the breaker to run pump; It makes an electrical hum sound that leads me to believe it would turn the shaft if it were not locked up. I did not want to pull the impeller head until I asked if there was anything to watch out for, when doing so. Thanks Guys

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Be best to clean the trash out of it, It may be that simple. Rotating the motor backwards may help.

If you do not know the model then parts will be hard to find. You will need new seals, at minimum, if you take it apart.

Trash in the impeller can lock one up. Maybe could be the start switch, or a cap if it uses one.

Watch out for electrical Shock. Kill the power Power first. (You asked, be safe)

Good Luck.

Last edited:

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Valveman said it best, it's more likely the start switch or the capacitor. Remove the cap on the rear of the motor and turn the motor shaft. If it turns free it's most likely that the pump end is OK.

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
Thanks all.

So you say that even though the starter switch is possibly bad; power will get to the motor to produce a binding type electrical hum? Just clarifying, because on my HID lamps; If a starter is bad...No Juice, noise, etc...DEAD

How does electricity get through a bad starter to the motor? Just asking, not disagreeing.

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
Valveman said it best, it's more likely the start switch or the capacitor. Remove the cap on the rear of the motor and turn the motor shaft. If it turns free it's most likely that the pump end is OK.

This is what I was looking for. As always the supporters of T.Loves forum are right on, and very easy to understand.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
How does electricity get through a bad starter to the motor? Just asking, not disagreeing.

Most motors have a centrifugal switch that when closed, energizes separate start windings and opens when the motor gets up to speed. The run windings can't start the motor and so they just hum.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
This is what I was looking for. As always the supporters of T.Loves forum are right on, and very easy to understand.

What voltage are you trying ?

You may want to check the voltage setting while you are in there.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

hygron

Reaction score
Website
hygronomics.com
Thanks again guys. Ok. i understand the circuit now.

As far as voltage; We were running 220, and pump worked for almost 2 years. But, thanks, will check the voltage too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks