Drain for basement bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Ze'ev Garber

Reaction score
I'm remodeling my basement bathroom. There was toilet only installed in laundry room in enclosed cabin. I have cleaned the room and removed appliances, toilet, cabin.
I'm splitting the room into 2 rooms - one for full bath and one for laundry with the wall separating both and 2 separate doors.
I'll be using caroma rear outlet toilet and plug all drains (bath tub, sink, washer and toilet into one 4" pvc that will connect horizontally with old cast iron stuck.

The problem is that I only have 3-4 feet between the back of the bathroom wall and existing stuck that I want to connect to. So pipe does 90 degrees and then has four 2 inches pvc pipes connected to it.
Would it be an issue to contruct the pipe as on the picture? I'm just designing at the moment and have not connected anything yet.

Thanks for your advise.

Jeff.

Attachments

• plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 614

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The line you are planning on connecting to is a drain...once a drain, it cannot become a vent. None of your new fixtures are vented. You got away with it when there was only a toilet there, but you can't add a sink and shower or tub in there without running a vent line properly. You have to run the vent line high enough in the house until that drain line becomes a vent, then you can tap into it rather than making a new penetration out the roof (unless that's easier).

Note that dry fitting everything like that will ultimately end up causing you to recut lots of pipe or have to relocate everything since dry, the pipe won't fully seat in the tapered socket of the fittings - you'll lose maybe 1/4" or so at each socket - maybe more.

Also, can't tell the elevation, but the pipe needs at least 1/4" per foot slope all the way - it doesn't look like there's enough, but the picture can be misleading.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you show so far is the "EASY" part. What you do from then on will determine whether it is an acceptable installation and whether it will have drainage problems.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
What the previous replies are tactfully trying to tell you is that you can't just stick pipes together and call it a drain. Plumbing just isn't that easy. You need a plumber to make the proper connections and do the venting.

Ze'ev Garber

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply
All of my fixtures will have individual vent coming from the ceiling
Old toilet had cast iron 2" vent that was connected to 1 1/2" PVC pipe that goes to the roof
I'm planning to connect all vents to it in the ceiling
I'm more concerned with 90 degree elbow before connecting to the old stuck

Ze'ev Garber

Reaction score
What the previous replies are tactfully trying to tell you is that you can't just stick pipes together and call it a drain. Plumbing just isn't that easy. You need a plumber to make the proper connections and do the venting.
This is exactly why I'm asking a question here
I'd like to understand if in 4x4 space I can connect all the fixture drains

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What you have is a start. It's how it finishes that decides it.
So far what you have to look at is fine.

No-Hub couplings above ground do need to be shielded though to prevent shifting of the pipes over time.

Edit
A 90 bend on the horizontal, not on the trap arm, should be a long turn.
You can get by with a M90 on a trap arm. However, you are always better off with the longest sweeps on horizontal.
Like hj, I'm not sure what you have there on the 90.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The elbow "appears" to be the correct one, but it is hard to tell because of the angle. The "Fernco" coupling would NOT be approved in this area for use inside the building. as far as the space is concerned, you could put it inside a 4" x 4" space IF you could fit the pipes into it.

Cookie

Reaction score
I see you stated you are from Ma., and, I don't know if you are aware of this or not, but, MA prohibits any plumbing work at all except by licensed plumbers, that is your state law. Just so you know, Jeff.

Last edited:

Ze'ev Garber

Reaction score
Please take a look at the pictures

I have dry fitted washer drain. Does this look right? Bathroom trap seems to be the biggest concern.
What can be wrong with its shape?

Thanks.

And BTW I'll have this work inspected.IMG_0353.jpgIMG_0351.jpgIMG_0352.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can't use a running trap on the tub in Mass. Your plumber should know better. Did he pull a permit?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks