Nuclear plants in Japan risk meltdown

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
This all should be a wake-up call...

Fri Apr 15, 11:16 pm ET
TOKYO (AFP) – A strong earthquake of magnitude 5.8 hit central Japan on Saturday morning, according to the US Geological Survey.

The quake, which shook buildings in Tokyo, struck at 11:19 am (0219 GMT), 83 kilometres (52 miles) north of the capital and at a depth of 20 kilometres, the USGS said.

Operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) said the tremor did not disrupt the emergency crews who are working around the clock to cool crippled reactors at a nuclear plant hit by a devastating earthquake and tsunami last month.

That earthquake -- the biggest ever recorded in Japan -- struck on March 11, triggering a huge tsunami and leaving 13,591 people dead, with another 14,497 still unaccounted for.

Tens of thousands of people lost their homes, while many others were forced to evacuate after a series of explosions at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant sent radiation spewing into the air.

The radiation leaks have resulted in bans on produce from the affected area and hurt the fishing and farming industries because of public fears over radioactivity in food.

On Friday, Japan's government ordered TEPCO to offer payouts to tens of thousands of people made homeless by the ongoing crisis.

The total cost from collapsed or damaged houses, factories and infrastructure such as roads and bridges is estimated to reach 16-25 trillion yen over the next three fiscal years, according to the Cabinet Office.

There were no immediate reports of any damage or casualties from Saturday's quake, which the Japan Meteorological Agency said had a magnitude of 5.9 and struck at a depth of 70 kilometres underground.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I think we could all chip in and buy Ian a one way ticket to Japan to do some cleanup work at the plants!

Cookie

Reaction score
One thing, at least I haven't heard much about is disease. Which can be easily transported.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
With the equipment and the entitlements you get as a US serviceman, it wouldn't take much persuading.

You never see a poor US veteran.

It's all there. And we can thank the Government for it.

Just imagine a country where every citizen got the same benefits as US veterans.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0501-ARE.pdf

Kinda makes you want to sign up, doesn't it? I'm sure a few of the rest of us would like some help with home loans and education grants too.

5168797086_b7e21d3da9.jpg

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
If you can find any WW2 Vets, why don't you ask them what they get per month right now? Especially, those who are collecting a disablility pay from being injured overseas. My poor dad, was getting , ( better sit down Ian) $55.00 a month for having the privledge of getting blown-up, losing his hearing for life, and like he would say, " and then some." I guess, I am lucky I was created. He hardly made a killing from being in the service; and, so far as using the freebies, such as the GI bill of rights for housing, he never used it. He never bought a house. You never saw a poor veteran? Ha. Like I was told from age 13 from teachers, " put yer glasses on."

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I'm just saying that America looks after its vets.

They all seem to have great health care (provided by the Feds) and most of the retired ones I see are either riding around on large motorbikes or driving around in big trucks.

The young ones go to great universities after leaving.

America really puts its hand in its pockets for its retired servicemen. No expense is spared.

You should all be proud of this. It's the right thing to do.

But when it comes to ordinary people, some start questioning the role of the Government to provide similar services.

Why?

So what is good for the goose, isn't good for the gander in this country.

Why are Government entitlements OK for vets but not for retired people of other trades?

And why don't vets have to look after themselves like the rest of us?

In England you get special benefits if you are injured in active combat.

In America, all you have to do is serve and then you're entitled. It appears you do not even have to go to war to get the vets benefits here, let alone be injured.

But a poor retired plumber or teacher is on his/her own.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
With the equipment and the entitlements you get as a US serviceman, it wouldn't take much persuading.

You never see a poor US veteran.

It's all there. And we can thank the Government for it.

Just imagine a country where every citizen got the same benefits as US veterans.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-0501-ARE.pdf

Kinda makes you want to sign up, doesn't it? I'm sure a few of the rest of us would like some help with home loans and education grants too.

If you think the VA is so wonderful, I do encourage you to sign up. The vast majority of the millions and millions of Americans who have served in the Armed Forces get zilch bubkis from the VA. The GI bill....you pay into that while you are on active duty. If you get shot up, or agent oranged, or some strange bug in Iraq, MOST former servicement DIE before they finally get the VA to recognize their illness as service-related. If you are lucky enough to work your way up the ranks, and stay for 20+ years, you do earn a pension. I can tell you that the pension after 22½ years service is 30 % of what you were making at the time you retire. Nice to have but not exactly a princely sum. The medical insurance ( TRICARE) is nice, and the price is very reasonable, but under constant pressure from congress to increase the annual fee and the copays and dedictibles. All of this is fair payment in return for sucking freon, amine, and carbon monoxide for 20 years,.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Just like in England then. Where to get a "war pension" (which can run to $2400 a month) vets often have to go to court to prove their injuries were service-related.
Which is tricky when you are exposed to chemical weapons.

I wonder why servicemen and women do not speak out more? Unlike in England, they (and their families) are very well organised politically in the US.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I know a Vet, who was sprayed with Agent Orange, his 2 daughters was born without ear drums. The "special" allowances made wasn't that great. It paid for the School for the deaf for his girls.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
So, we're back to square one.

If America doesn't even look after its vets, just who does it look out for?

Not the poor. Not the sick. Not the elderly.

Nada.

Less a country. More of a "place". Certainly no longer fit to be part of the Kingdom.

Cookie

Reaction score
I wish I would had copied what I read the other day about where out tax dollars goes to, but, one of them was national defense. That was the second one. Since, I am brain damaged, I can't remember the first, lol. Another was foreign aide. I can't remember the percentage on that either, but, this one wasn't high up, but not the last either. If I can find it, I will post the chart for you, Ian.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
So, we're back to square one.

If America doesn't even look after its vets, just who does it look out for?

Not the poor. Not the sick. Not the elderly.

Nada.

Less a country. More of a "place". Certainly no longer fit to be part of the Kingdom

That wasnt really a cut. They like that life. The UK will never have a Nevada to winter over in, nor enough lonely roads, as in Kansas, to truly feel the wind of freedom in your face.

If they get sick, a VA hospital is always near.

Just try and pull over on a BLM road in the UK and target practice with your array of guns. Thats what they joined up to protect. And to make sure we never have a KINGdom again.

Stop in here- 'Mina, Nevada' for a real taste of another world.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...=1&q=photos+of+mina+nevada&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

http://www.city-data.com/city/Mina-Nevada.html

This is the best one on Mina:

http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/38121

Now Ian, if you really take a look at these photos, and actually get there one day, you will start to understand the absolutely bizzare nature of the American west.

You might also want to read Henry Millers ' The air conditioned nightmare' - one of the last great Americans.

Last edited:

Neanderthal Man

The Cave Man
Reaction score
It is a good point. The "Brilliant" Japanese that make those cars that most ignorant Americans bow down to like a golden goddess have built nuclear plants right on the fault line.

AND they forgot to think about a little wave knocking out the auxiliary power.

AND they forgot to simply put the aux power on the roof of the building.

AND they forgot to build a huge GRAVITY feed cooling tank for ultimate back-up.

Guess they were too busy making cars and toilets to export for PROFIT instead of upgrading their nuclear.

Wanna know where they should have gotten their nuclear plants? They should have bought 50 of the American aircraft carrier nuclear plants and mounted them on some surplus toyota springs. Those little beauties can sway until they are almost upside down and jump around dodging floating Corolla's.

And Ian, our bad gas lines look pretty harmless next to these poorly designed plants.

Finally, whatever help we give needs to be repaid on a time and material basis. From auto export profits.

This is NOT Haiti!

But it looks like Japanese/Haitian plumbers designed the plants coolant system......

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?34301-Plumbing-in-Japan-is-bizzare-if-not-interesting!

Bro I can't believe the stuff you are pretending to know.
Why are you pretending tp be an engineer?
We all watched you get expelled from the college.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If you cro-mags could read, and think outside of your next skunk dinner, you would know not to put your backup power in front of the wave.

Had they built the plant in a cave up in the mountains, on springs, japan would just have water to clean up.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You worry too much Steve. Look on the bright side, maybe the next generation will mutate into Xmen

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Is your aircraft carrier still there or did it sneak away before the job was done?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks