A simple Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Giles

Retired tool & Die and Mechanic
Reaction score
When working with simple 110v cords, such as lamp cord, where there is only two wires, I know that the small spade is the hot.
Some of these cords have an identifying "rib" molded into the outer covering. I have always thought the "rib" was to identify the "hot", however I have recently found that it is "neutral" on the last few I have dealt with.
Is there a standard rule?
I told you it was a simple question:confused::confused:

Giles

Reaction score
I would never trust any cord manufacturer to follow a rule even if one existed. I always verify by putting a meter on it and I verify wall jacks as well.

That reminds me... I need to buy another outlet tester... mine grew legs again.
http://www.google.com/search?q=outlet+tester
I always do the same--even when I turnoff breaker I always check.

ianrtech

Reaction score
this i have not dealt with lately but it used to be one way the in the 90's they changed it to the other. use your meter:confused: does that help

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Many cords are oriented so the neutral wire lines up with the polarized prong, thus you can determine whether the ribbed wire goes to it or not.

Giles

Reaction score
That"s what I am thinking--On this same subject, a few years ago, I purchased a "Westinghouse" swag light cord and ,of course, it was Made in Communist China. The hookup instructions stated it didn't matter how the wires were connected. I knew IT DID!! So I eMailed the company and voiced my complaint. They responded with a thank you and said I was absolutely correct and it would be corrected.
I wonder how many are connected wrong and if the company actually addressed the issue??
this i have not dealt with lately but it used to be one way the in the 90's they changed it to the other. use your meter:confused: does that help

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
That"s what I am thinking--On this same subject, a few years ago, I purchased a "Westinghouse" swag light cord and ,of course, it was Made in Communist China. The hookup instructions stated it didn't matter how the wires were connected. I knew IT DID!! So I eMailed the company and voiced my complaint. They responded with a thank you and said I was absolutely correct and it would be corrected.
I wonder how many are connected wrong and if the company actually addressed the issue??
Ja, I've seen many DIY segments on wiring a lamp cord where they either fail to mention which side of a lamp base the neutral must go to or claim it doesn't matter. I can just imagine someone trying to change a bulb with the neutral switched and the hot wired to the threaded side of the base! I could see some people do it by braille, guiding the bulb into the base with one hand while standing bare-footed on a damp concrete floor.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are still a huge amount of older lamps way before polarized plugs were available...then, it truly didn't matter (well, it did, but I doubt anyone used a meter to determine which side was neutral).

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are still a huge amount of older lamps way before polarized plugs were available...then, it truly didn't matter (well, it did, but I doubt anyone used a meter to determine which side was neutral).
When I was a young boy, my parents had a metal clip-on lamp on their metal headboard. I didn't need a meter to determine what side was neutral as I'd get shocks touching the footboard while bare foot on the tiled basement floor. Reversing the plug solved it but isolating the neutral would have been the right thing to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks