toilet flange question

Users who are viewing this thread

gilmil

Reaction score
We had our bathroom roughed in, then tiled. When all's said and done we're left with a 3" elbow that's 1.25" below the grade of the floor. I have a flange that will fit into the 3" elbow, but it seems like only a depth of 1/2 to 3/4" of PVC will be glued. The plumbing was planned for 1/4" backer board and the tiler used 1/2" backer board. Is the 1/2 to 3/4" depth of PVC glued sufficient?

Thanks,
Gil

gilmil

Reaction score
Awesome thanks! I'll stop by the local plumbing supply house. They make one that'll fit a 3" elbow ?

gilmil

Reaction score
Local supply shop said they had never heard of such fitting. They stock souix chief fittings. Any idea where I can get the fitting you mention?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The short pipe is probably your best solution. Since the pipe is 3", be sure to get a flange that fits over the pipe, not inside. They do make the inside fitting flanges, but they cut the diameter of the pipe too much and can result in clogging problems. If it was a 4" pipe, then an inside fit would be fine.

gilmil

Reaction score
Thanks. I've got an over the pipe type flange and some 3" pipe. I'm going to have to cut the length of the flange down to actually fit, I guess that's okay?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Trimming a small amount off of the flange wouldn't compromise the joint enough to worry about, but can't the pipe be shortened?

gilmil

Reaction score
The distance from the top of the elbow to the top of the floor ranges from 1.25 to 1.5 inches. Therefore the only amount of pipe that can be put in above the elbow is 1.25 inches, and the only amount of flange which can be below the floor around the 3" pipe is 1.25 inches. Either way seems like a crappy situation. I wish I could move the elbow down, but that's not possible.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I follow you correctly, the flange would have 1-1/4" over the pipe. My personal opinion is that it is enough. As Shacko reminds, the flange is screwed to the floor...clear into the sub-floor, so the flange/pipe joint is not supporting anything.

gilmil

Reaction score
You follow me correctly the stub of pipe would stick up 1 1/4" and the flange would be solvent welded to that stub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks