New Gas Line Install Question

Users who are viewing this thread

bmcgin

Reaction score
We are switching from an electric range to a 40†gas range with this burner configuration:

Triple Ring Burner: (2) 120 - 15,500 BTU
Big Burner: (3) 70 - 10,500 BTU
Small Burner: (1) 55 - 7,000 BTU

The gas company will install a meter and then I need a plumber run the line to the stove and possibly to an outdoor grill.

I’m not sure what type of line to use because we live on the beach and the humidity and salt air will even rust stainless steel.

The house is on pylons and the kitchen in on the first floor. More than likely, from the meter to the house will be 3-10 feet depending on where he puts the meter.

From the meter to the gas grill, I want the line to run under the house around the perimeter. This is about 50 feet.

A guy came out today who specializes in gas and said he would run copper. Is copper ok?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have NEVER run a gas line in copper, except for small propane flexible copper. He CANNOT soft solder any copper joints. They either have to be flared or brazed.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Some people don't like copper because certain areas of the country gave a dirtier gas that will cause parts of the copper tubing to flake off (almost like rust but obv not rust). Generally this is not a big deal if you have proper drip pockets installed.

You basically have 3 options with gas:

1. Copper tubing
2. Black iron steel
3. Corrugated tubing such as gas-tite, flex-tite, etc etc.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks