Aging gas lines in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ian is unfamiliar with the quality of wood that we have here...

His countrymen were well aware of it in the War of 1812 when the USS Constitution defeated the HMS Guerriere...

Hull had managed to surprise the British and to their astonishment, many of their shot rebounded harmlessly off Constitution's hull. A sailor reportedly exclaimed "Huzzah! her sides are made of iron!" and Constitution acquired the nickname "Old Ironsides"... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Constitution

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I disagree. Much of the wood here is scrap.

Take red oak, for example, which stains when it gets wet.

In Europe we are endowed with the white variety which is far more sturdy.

And the wars we fought back in the 1700s and 1800s were more of a civil nature. Englishmen versus Englishmen.

There's a different breed living in America now of a far lower caliber.

If we were to take to the water again, it would be a whitewash.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ahhh yes... The White Oak is a great quality wood that we have quite a bit of up here in Connecticut...
The stuff is famous for burning up Skil Saws and requiring a pilot hole to be drilled for nailing...
I lived about 1/4 mile down the road from a saw mill that specialized in native white oak lumber...

Funny thing about white oak trees and Connecticut brings yet another interesting story of those pesky Brit's being "Pawned" "Owned" or, whatever you want to call it in the story of "The Charter Oak"

Where in October 1687 The newly appointed Governor General of the Dominion of New England Sir Edmund Andros arrived in Hartford, CT. as ordered by the heavy handed monarch James II to seize the Charter of the Connecticut Colony which had been granted by King Charles II, in 1662 giving the Connecticut Colony much more autonomy than James II wished for them to have...

As usual when confronted by a opponent who cheats and changes the rules of the game a certain amount of liberties must be taken and as the Charter was to be handed over to Andros the lights were doused and the Charter disappeared. Legend has it that the Charter was hidden in an old hollow oak tree and Andros went back to England empty landed....

Keep this in mind Ian when ever you spend a quarter and check to see if it is one of these....

82970eb9.jpg

It can be said in a battle of wit the Brit's often show up at a gunfight with only a knife in their hand and they are very used to having their nose bloodied by us yanks...

It's only been happening for about 325 years now and there is still hope that they will learn from their mistakes.
The actions of your monarchy are the reason why the colonies gave you the boot...
Don't forget it!

Today The desk of the Governor of Connecticut, as well as the chairs for the Speaker of the House of Representatives and President of the Senate in the state capitol are made from wood salvaged from the Charter Oak. An oil on canvas painting of The Charter Oak painted by Charles De Wolf Brownell in 1857 hangs in the Wadsworth Atheneum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
native white oak lumber

White Oak is native to England. Otherwise known as English Oak.

Like the rest of America.

We made you.

Except the cast iron gas pipes. They're all American doing.

Europeans have more brains than to bury those things.

All over America I still see the British coat of arms. Like this fine example in Colonial Williamsburg.

1.1269370525.4_colonial-williamsburg---governor-s-palace.jpg

It makes me feel right at home.

Should also make taking the place back a little easier as well. Fewer cosmetic changes will be needed.

Look at that fine English panelling as well. We build it right. None of this get 'er done!

Notice the guns on the wall?

Feeling a little scared yet Redwood?

Last edited:

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
Dang, I use barrels made outta White Oak the keep my corn Licker in while it mellows.

That be some tuff wood fo sho.

Redwood u think that yankee saw mill might give me a decent deal on staves fer my barrels.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
White Oak is native to England. Otherwise known as English Oak.

Like the rest of America.

We made you.

As usual The Brit looks at the world and imagines himself king of it....

Quercus alba, the White Oak, is one of the pre-eminent hardwoods of eastern North America. It is a long-lived oak in the family Fagaceae, native to eastern North America, from southern Quebec west to eastern Minnesota, and south to northern Florida and eastern Texas. Specimens are known to have lived over 600 years.

If you have all those guns why did you bring a knife...
Scared yet? You should be...

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
And just when you least expect it a Hillbilly turns up.

Do stills sometimes explode?

All we need now is mad plumber and then we have a party.

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score

Yea deh kin but not as often as dem gas explosions Redwood was postin over in britton.

U ought ta check dem history books bout how summa my kin folk threw a whumppin ona Major Ferguson up on King Mountain.
Jess lik a squerril hunt.
My kinfolk cut dem brits to pieces wit der Kentucky Rifles.

After dat da Cornwallis fella was on the run.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The British, specifically the Scottish and Northern Irish, do make better whisky than you Americans however.

AND, you's can buy it over there on a Sunday morning from the gas station on your drive to the church, if the mood takes you.

Redwoodvotesoften1

Reaction score
The British, specifically the Scottish and Northern Irish, do make better whisky than you Americans however.

AND, you's can buy it over there on a Sunday morning from the gas station on your drive to the church, if the mood takes you.

I dint no dey started makin corn likker there. Far az I new they dint even mak Bourbon Whisky.
Careful what u sez bout dem Irish bein brits. Hate ta see dem car bombs goin off agin.

Az far az gittin whiskey on Sunday u kin buy it frum me outta da trunka my car befour the service n after. No need ta stop at no gas stashun.

ilya

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ian, you need to check your history books. "Great" Britain absolutely did not make America. We defeated you twice (revolution, 1812) and saved your delicate little hiney twice (WW I, WW II) . This nation became a major world power after you no longer were, and after you went home tail 'twixt legs. My only consession here is to acknowlege that one Mr. Crapper invented the modern flush toilet. There are still flights available back to merry old england. And Scotland and Ireland don't seem to think themselves english, so perhaps there isn't so much to brag on there, eh?

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score

Those guys are classic plumbers and they sell toto's cause they get kickbacks from the factory based on sales volume.

And dont get too close to them, because THEY sometimes have gas leaks and explode, via their cast iron intestines.

Probably descendants of banished Brits that were deported here for stealing a jelly roll at the marketplace before they found Australia as a better dumping place.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Those guys are classic plumbers and they sell toto's cause they get kickbacks from the factory based on sales volume.

Nah the guy on the right really needs the powerful flush that the Toto has and surprisingly enough the thin china is strong enough to hold him up....

Ballvalve

Reaction score
I disagree. Much of the wood here is scrap.

Take red oak, for example, which stains when it gets wet.

In Europe we are endowed with the white variety which is far more sturdy.

And the wars we fought back in the 1700s and 1800s were more of a civil nature. Englishmen versus Englishmen.

There's a different breed living in America now of a far lower caliber.

If we were to take to the water again, it would be a whitewash.

Ian, Western Europe obliterated its white oak generations ago. ALL of your fine Scotch is a product of American white oak, which barrels cost about 185$ VS. the few French oak barrels made at $700, of which most are "counterfeit" as they are made from Slovak and Ukrainian oak, unknown to the general public.

Finally the European oak is sadly inferior for barrels, as it must be SPLIT and may not be sawn, other wise it will leak due to its odd pore structure. So the American species yields far more useable wood per stick than the few remaining trees in europe that reside in guarded estates and private enclaves.

Furthermore, that fine Scotch is usually aged in USED American white oak barrels from the bourbon trade that are broken down, shipped to Scotland and rebuilt there.

Red oak is a fine specimen and America is over abundant in it. Stains the same as white oak, but make a barrell from it and the product tastes just like cat pee.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Agreed you'd need a lighter Hill Billy for a Toto.

l_a676ab6466f91f23be7df1a563bbef9c.jpg

Hillbilly Man: do you do home deliveries?

And surely good whisky should be taxed?

Dang we've gone a long way off topic now.

Plastic gas pipes anyone?

Mad Plumber?

And what's wrong with using lead solder on a still?

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
As could these:

hillbillies.JPG

What does it require to become a Hill Billy?

It would appear that dungarees are a pre-requisite.

As is a beard.

And probably a still.

Anything else?

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Look like Australians with a love for Oshkosh fashions. None of them seem qualified to run a still that would produce a product that could be imbibed without fear.

Wanna be, false hillbillys....

If they boil your mash or solder your pipes, you are a candidate for transportation.

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually, Mr. Crapper did not invent themodern toilet, he just improved on an existing design and was the first guy to market and sell a bunch of them

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Whatever. Just like America, the toilet was still an English idea.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks