Leaking sprinkler heads

Users who are viewing this thread

L84toff

Reaction score
Hey folks,

When I went to start our sprinkler system this spring, I discovered that both our sprinkler heads on the same zone are leaking. I find it very strange that both would have a leaking problem all of a sudden at the same time. We had the system blown out last fall.

We have been doing some landscaping and although we've been careful not to step on either of them, it's possible someone did.

We've been in the house about a year and a half but had no problems with the opening or running of it last year.

The leak itself is at the top, appears to be coming from where the water normally comes out from when it's running. The head does not appear to be all the way down as I can press it down and the leak stops, at least for a moment or two. I've unscrewed the top part and hosed it all off, thinking there may be some debris stuck in it. But after replacing it, the leak continues.

I was going to replace the heads with new ones, but like I said, it seems strange that both heads in the same zone have gone at the same time.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BRD

Reaction score
The valve that supplies water to those two heads is probably stuck open. It may be something lodged between the diaphragm and seat, or maybe a worn or pitted diaphragm seat. A tiny leak at the valve diaphragm will cause water to dribble from the top of a head, usually most notable at the lowest head on the line. Easy to fix if your handy. Remove top portion of the valve and check for obstructions, and or a pitted diaphragm seat. Be carefull during disassemble as there is a spring in there that should not be lost. Also do not forget to shut the water off first.

L84toff

Reaction score
Dumb question edited.

That's exactly what it was. Problem appears to be fixed.

Thanks very much.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks