Compression Angle Stops on Pedestal Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

PeteD

Reaction score
OK, so I bought some decorative cross handle chrome compression angle stops (1/4 turn with white H and C inserts)) for use on my pedestal sink. The wall behind the sink is white beadboard, and I currently have about 1.5 inches of copper (1/2") sticking out of the wall.

My question is should I extend out (with chrome plated brass or something similar) the copper so that the angle stop is even with the drain on the sink? Or, should it go flush again the wall, with an escutcheon right behind the stop?

If I mount it close to the beadboard (my original plan), I have a couple of concerns:
1. aesthetics - I am concerned the stops will look funny close to the beadboard
2. some copper will show from the side, unless I really put everything close to the beadboard (see #3)
2. repairs down the road - what do I do when my esctucheon plate gets corroded, and I have no copper left to do anything with?

Assuming I should extend things (my current thought), can I just buy the chromed pipe, sweat it on, sweat on a copper nub on the outside end and then use my compression fitting?

I have only seen those chromed pipes attached to shut offs, which I do not need, but I am sure just the chromed pipe must be available...

Thanks,
Pete

Nate R

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. Didn't have time to figure it out at the time, as my water was shut off to move the toilet supply line. Now I have the nice chrome escutcheon, about 1 1/2" of copper, and then my nice chrome angle stop.

Found these, thinking I might try them.

http://www.radsnaps.com/id31.html

But now I see they're in the UK, and I don't see a way to get them in the US. Hmmm......

Last edited:

PeteD

Reaction score
I've been wondering the same thing. Didn't have time to figure it out at the time, as my water was shut off to move the toilet supply line. Now I have the nice chrome escutcheon, about 1 1/2" of copper, and then my nice chrome angle stop.

Found these, thinking I might try them.

http://www.radsnaps.com/id31.html

But now I see they're in the UK, and I don't see a way to get them in the US. Hmmm......

It is funny you mention it. I was just think maybe I could cover the slight reveal of copper with a section of chromed brass sweat extension (still can't find a source without the angle stop on the end) and get an escutcheon sized for the cover, instead of the 1/2 copper. I would then just butt that cover against the nut on the compression fitting...

Maybe you can just buy a 5" extension shut off and cut off a couple of pieces to slip over the copper?

Someone must sell these here?!?

I have decided my concern about the aesthetics of having the angle stop only a couple of inches from the wall may be unfounded.

Anyone have some pics of shut offs without the extension (close to the wall)?

Pete

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WE cut the tubing so the escutcheon and stop are at the wall. When it comes time to replace them WE have the equipment to pull it apart without cutting more copper tubing off.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Like hj, we just cut the copper shorter.

flange_02.jpg

Chefwong

Reaction score
I've always did a 90 brass female corner and make it nice and snug on the backing behind it. Finish the wall and just run the shorted chrome nipple which does the trick for me.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That works if you are doing the pipe in the wall also so you can install the elbow before the walls are installed. But we consider the cost of the material and labor to install it, and opt for the copper tube with a compression elbow, since that is the most economical and customary way to do it.

PeteD

Reaction score
WE cut the tubing so the escutcheon and stop are at the wall. When it comes time to replace them WE have the equipment to pull it apart without cutting more copper tubing off.

Please enlighten me! I take it the ferrule does not compress into the OD of the pipe in the same way a swage fitting does? If so, it seems like it would be easy to take it apart.

Is there a special tool, or are you just yankin' my chain?

I appreciate the feedback from all, I was obviously over-thinking things...

Pete

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you overtighten the compression nut, it can distort the pipe and you need a ferrule puller to get it off.

PeteD

Reaction score
Great info, guys. Especially appreciate the photos, Terry.

Who gave me the avatar?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks