Removing stuck handle from Moentrol Shower Body

Users who are viewing this thread

thew60

Reaction score
I have a Moen Moentrol shower body installed ~1993. I need to expose the shower body to repair or replace the balancing spool. I was able to remove the outside portion of the chrome handle. Below that is a brass colored part that attaches directly to the water cartridge via set screw. The set screw was removed but I cannot loosen the part. I cannot get the escutcheon off unless this part is removed. I'm sure it is related to the years of lime deposited. I tried squirting vinegar and waiting with no success. Moens only recommendation was to cut it off. A bit too drastic at this point.

Any suggestions??

My first post to this forum and any responses are appreciated.
Tnanks!

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
Below that is a brass colored part that attaches directly to the water cartridge via set screw.
this is a little confusing as your describing it. Can you post a picture of the valve and any parts that you have removed?

thew60

Reaction score
Here is a photot pf the part in question

Here is the part in question....it is the remaining part of the handle assembly that attaches directly to the cartridge. The set screw was removed but the part still will not come off and I cannot remove the escutcheon plate until I get this off

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 2,040

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
You have some calcification around that peice. Try WD40 or PB blaster. Some sort of lubricant that can break up the calcium build up. Light tapping.

If this fails, cut the moen stem so that the handle adapter is still in tact. You will be replacing the cartridge any way.Moen cartridges are free of charge directly from moen. You can work on getting the smaller peice out away from the faucet. As a matter of fact, MOEN may send you a new adapter if requested/needed. In most cases free of charge.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3,262
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks