2 questions

Users who are viewing this thread

tilelayher

Reaction score
OK,

first off happy new year. I put a tub in for a friend today and installed an american standard mixer valve soldered everything in and wanted to test it out. Well I tuned it on and nothing worked made sure that the water was on. But he doesn't have a hot water line setup through the house yet he gutted it and hasn't put a hot water heater in yet. So I am thinking this is affecting the fixture from working? Is this the case??

second question, I am mudding the floor in this bathroom a wetbed and the closet flange is too low, the flange is a brass fitting sweated onto 3" copper which is very small and then sweated onto a brass elbow. What can I do to raise the flange so it sits on my finished floor? Is 3" still available anywhere?n I already heated the flange with my torch and pulled it out from where it connects to the elbow just to see what was going on. Any advice appreciated. Thanks guys.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Your new valve is probably a pressure-balanced type. If there is no pressure is available on one side, no water will flow from the other.

pipepusher

master plumber/gas fitter
Reaction score
3'' Copper

What you probably have is 3" DWV copper.Probably won't find any of it around anymore.You could use Type L copper .It's a little pricey I just purchased a 10' piece of 3" L ,my cost was $190 .

tilelayher

Reaction score
I don't need 10 ft, can I get a ft from a supply house then sweat it back into that old elbow and put the brass closet flange back and give it room for my mud and tile? Or can I use a copper flange instead? I can't imagine what the cost of the pipe is. And is this my only option as far as the closet flange fix goes? Thanks so far.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Some supply houses sell by the foot some don't...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Go to a junk yard. They probably have a piece of 3" copper. They sell it by the pound, not foot, so it is more costly, but at least you don't have to buy 10' of it. Supply houses SELDOM cut pipe. They don't want to be left with an odd piece that no one else would need.

tilelayher

Reaction score
ok, thanks so this is the only way to fix, or can i cat out at a straight length and attach a fernco and convert to pvc? Or is that a half assed way to do it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks