Sharkbite to water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
I'm curious...
Had it occured to you that you were talking to plumbers here?

Of course...and so does everyone that comes to this site looking for help, to do it themselves. Isn't that the purpose?

It's like a bad car accident, I just can't stop looking at it. I've thought about this for awhile before saying this but honesty, if I ran across this set up I would just pull it all down and start over again. Right back to pulling the 1/2 wafer board off the wall and putting 3/4 plywood up instead. I am a fan of pex but this is not the place to use it. All of the piping from the tankless to the manifolds should be done in copper, both for rigidity and looks. The gas line should be moved away from the vent pipe. The relief valve should be hard piped to a threaded tee and hard piped to 6" from the floor. The expansion tank should be solidly hung on rigid pipe not mechanics strap. The whole thing is a mess. If the city mechanical inspector ran across this he would probably have an aneurism on the spot. Here is a prime example of a little bit of knowledge gone wild.

You're jealous...i can tell. A mess?...well angels to some, devils to others...i've seen some professional plumbing work that I think is messy...

It's not 1/2" wafer board, it's 3/4 tongue and groove OSB sealed with water proof sealant on all edges and face, counter sunk into pressure treated 2x6.

Copper for looks? that's so 1985...and who cares what my mechanical room looks like?! I'm not shooting for the cover of Vanity Fair, or plumbers weekly.

I have 2 relief valves per the inspectors cue, since there is no drain in site there is a 150psi valve attached to the tank, and a 120psi valve above grade for gravity drain...

The expansion tank is sitting on a 4" piece of ABS (updated after this photo) the straps are there for 'looks'.

I'd never put a sharkbite fitting behind a wall, the purpose of my home run is to avoid having fittings behind walls.

I'm glad at a minimum i've given you some fodder for your next "what not to do" thread...I'm pretty happy with it, and it works.

GO SOX.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
O rings

If the Sharkbite "O" rings are going to fail in a few years, what does that say about the ProPress system which also uses "O" rings, but are not removable like the Sharkbites?

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If the Sharkbite "O" rings are going to fail in a few years, what does that say about the ProPress system which also uses "O" rings, but are not removable like the Sharkbites?

We will open that can o worms when the time comes. :D

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I am still wary about this new Sharkbite technology we'll see how they hold up a few decades from now.

Will they be fine or will they end up like Polybutylene Pipe fittings? Fine today and leaking tomorrow.

Luckily I hope no one has piped their entire house with these things :rolleyes:. Behind the walls and whatnot that would be just downright scary.

Using them on copper (which they are approved for) is just downright wasteful if you paid all that money for the copper don't buy these pricey fittings and properly sweat them together.

The fittings seem simple enough but I think the Achilles heel is the sealing O-Ring when that fails you've got a leak. Who knows how long it will retain a watertight seal?

http://www.pinnaclesupply.com/pdf/SharkBiteInst.pdf

They seem to be fine for a temporary fix if the stores are closed and you don't have the fittings to sweat on but beyond that I wouldn't use them.

But that's just me :).

Well Google Boy here is one important find that you missed.
Take a good look at page 2 at this link!
Click here to see UPC, IPC, & CSA Approval of Sharkbites Including Concealed & Underground Locations

Push fit fittings that have a quick assembly push fit mechanism that can
be used with PEX, Copper or CPVC tubing. Fittings for use in domestic
and commercial application for both potable water distribution systems
and hydronic heating systems. Push fit fittings can be utilized in
underground applications and as manufactured joints without access
panels. To be installed in accordance with the manufacturer's​
instructions and the latest edition of the Uniform Plumbing Code.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeW888

Reaction score
Simply amazing!
You are the King of Sharkbites!

sFun_hailbig.gif
Sorry to quote but I had a good laugh from this.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Of course...and so does everyone that comes to this site looking for help, to do it themselves. Isn't that the purpose?

Coulda fooled me:

more than that unfortunately... but i tell you what, for the cost of what a plumber would charge to do this all in copper...i made out 10 fold on the deal.

I gave up offering DIY info over comments like this.

Do people really think plumbers are just lurking online waiting to put themselves out of work?

As for the quality of the workmanship on your job, you have no idea just how gawdy it looks to someone that does it for a living, sorry, but that isn't quality workmanship.

For starters, most states won't allow you to use plastic pipe within a certain distance from any water heating fixture..the list goes on and on.

You happen to live in a state that allows DIY plumbing, yet I think we can agree you aren't pulling permits.

I feel the urge to hop the soapbox, but I won't waste my time.

What I will say...IF you're so confident in the work, pull permits and get it inspected.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score

I say the exact same thing, over and over and over again.

I think you'd like NhMasters thoughts on code authorities and big business.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I was working on a home about 8 years ago doing some gas and water work on a kitchen remodel and had to move where the water came in...it was covered with a mound of dirt...when I uncovered it there was a piece of garden hose with hose clamps about 15" long connecting 1/2" copper feed to the house...it appeared to have been there, I am guessing,...maybe 20 years...it was hard / petrified but was weeping a little...So Grumpy your idea about the garden hose just might fly...:)

When I see crap like that I want to walk out.

When someone is so willing to avoid having it done right that they resort to something that pathetic, I feel like an elevator in an outhouse when I get called.

K2

Reaction score
Website
www.draghead.com
Coulda fooled me:

I gave up offering DIY info over comments like this.

Do people really think plumbers are just lurking online waiting to put themselves out of work?
inspected.

But that's the catch 22 here, i don't think everyone wants to do things the way I did sure they want to do it 'right' (pulled permits and all), but we don't all have the money or schedules to get a plumber in...

we look to people like you to really help us out...but we don't speak the language and we don't have a secret decoder ring so we ask questions and get abrupt responses or the ubiquitous "call a pro"...

i get a hairbrained idea that i can plumb my whole house in pex (not 'plastic') and I tried to follow every code i read and every manufacturers recommended installation instructions...

So please get on your soapbox and tell me what's wrong, because I don't know! maybe if i did i could take your challenge and get my inspection....that's why i'm here to learn from the bestest...

...i'm just a crazy kid in this mixed up world, who would be willing to bet copper got the same bad wrap as pex did 20 years ago, and I'm sure it can't be any worse then the galvanized junk i pulled out of my house all that corrosive pipe lining was going into my drinking water.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Last edited:

Wrex

Reaction score
Well Google Boy here is one important find that you missed.
Take a good look at page 2 at this link

No I knew that they were approved for concealed locations I mean't that I didn't like the idea.

A fitting leaking behind drywall silently creating mold!

As for failure I'm talking 10 to 20 years will be the true test not a few.

It's no big deal if the fittings are accessable in a basement or crawl space but behind the wall is another story.

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I guess that we are really in trouble then, because, o-rings have been used quite extensively for sealing purposes in plumbing for many years now...

The failures should be coming in any day now...

Cookie

Reaction score
I would imagine alot of the codes are for your safety, I would ask the question, " can I afford not to have it inspected?"
"It don't mean a thing, (If it aint got that swing), “du-wah-du-wah-du-wah"

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
But that's the catch 22 here, i don't think everyone wants to do things the way I did sure they want to do it 'right' (pulled permits and all), but we don't all have the money or schedules to get a plumber in...

we look to people like you to really help us out...but we don't speak the language and we don't have a secret decoder ring so we ask questions and get abrupt responses or the ubiquitous "call a pro"...

i get a hairbrained idea that i can plumb my whole house in pex (not 'plastic') and I tried to follow every code i read and every manufacturers recommended installation instructions...

So please get on your soapbox and tell me what's wrong, because I don't know! maybe if i did i could take your challenge and get my inspection....that's why i'm here to learn from the bestest...

...i'm just a crazy kid in this mixed up world, who would be willing to bet copper got the same bad wrap as pex did 20 years ago, and I'm sure it can't be any worse then the galvanized junk i pulled out of my house all that corrosive pipe lining was going into my drinking water.

This isn't an 80 yr old retiree on a fixed income with a leaking water pipe.

It's a luxury item, furthermore a gas fixture...no permits pulled.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't think I could add anything to the thread that I have not said before. Not pulling permits and inspections is a crime. In N.H. it's a felony, in other states it's a misedmeanor. And now that the pictures and facts are posted all over the internet I think if it was me I might be inclined to back track a bit and take care of these pesky issues before them come back to haunt you. I understand everyones desire to save a buck or two. We all want to get the best deal for our money, plumbers included. But there is a cost versus problems ratio that can not be ignored or denied. If for no other reason than peace of mind I would have it looked at. I still say that gas pipe is way too close to the vent. It's the safety of your family we're dealing with here. As for the sharkbites, that's your decision. It will probably work, but don't go looking for plumbers to give it a blessing.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
As for the sharkbites, that's your decision. It will probably work, but don't go looking for plumbers to give it a blessing.

I think the sharkbite does have its place. I specifically use them when installating water conditioning equipment in a home that has CPVC. It makes a great transition from CPVC to copper and then I use my propress. A solvent weld should cure for 24 hrs. (at least several hours anyhow) before putting back in service and that just isn't practical. As far as the o-rings, I don't have a problem with worrying about those since the technology has been around for 30 years.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I think the sharkbite does have its place. I specifically use them when installating water conditioning equipment in a home that has CPVC. It makes a great transition from CPVC to copper and then I use my propress. A solvent weld should cure for 24 hrs. (at least several hours anyhow) before putting back in service and that just isn't practical. As far as the o-rings, I don't have a problem with worrying about those since the technology has been around for 30 years.

I assume your a plumber.

Think of how often you replace O-ring seals in faucets showers and other fixtures.
Then imagine if those O-rings were concealed behind walls, ceilings having to replace them as often.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I assume your a plumber.

Think of how often you replace O-ring seals in faucets showers and other fixtures.
Then imagine if those O-rings were concealed behind walls, ceilings having to replace them as often.

I am a plumber and do just conditioning equipment which is out in the open. You must not get in the trap of comparing the two (fixtures and sharkbites)as one of the same, because the o-ring in the sharkbite is static (it never moves) and none of the parts move against it.

An o-ring is a very reliable and robust seal. If you don't trust an o-ring, would you also not trust a PEX fitting behind the wall?

I know a plumber that will do a whole house with a pro-press ... I never had a joint leak after learning how to prep the joint. We had one joint leak 2x because it had scale and pitting on the existing pipe ... Viega said in the case of an old pipe, first use steel whole to remove the scale (no problems since).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks