Gas line BTU and Price Estimate

Users who are viewing this thread

jmcintosh

Reaction score
I am in need of two additional gas lines to be run after having my furnace being moved from the basement to the attic. The other line is for a new gas oven. The existing smaller diameter pipe will have to replaced with 1 1/4 inch diameter pipe and run all the back to the main outside the house. We have a conventional foundation with enough space to almost stand up straight. This is where all the pipe will be run.

Will it deliver sufficient supply of gas pressure for both the oven and furnace? If the furnace kicks on while cooking, will I notice a difference in output on the oven burners? The oven has a single burner that will use 15K BTUs. The smaller burners use about 6K BTU. The Rheem Gas Furnace (RGPN07EAMGR) is 70,000 BTU. We have a water heater and gas logs that will be T'd off and fed before it gets to the oven and furnace. Is there an option to upgrade a gas main to your house for more throughput?

Is an estimate for $732 pretty much in line? I know that there are too many variables to take into account so I was just wondering if its close to being the 'ballpark'. I like to do things myself but I am scared of gas.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't advise you on the pipe sizing etc., that's way too technical for me. I think you are wise not to attempt this yourself. As to the price, yes, there are many variables involved, but when you consider some plumbers charge more that that just to install a water heater, that sounds like a bargain price...in fact, it makes me wonder about the qualifications of the person who gave you the estimate. Make sure he is a licensed plumber with experience with gas installations. If all checks out, hire him.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Bearing in mind that the cost of living is higher where I am, that price seems very low.

Make sure the guy is pulling permits and has license/liability insurance.

jmcintosh

Reaction score
new approach

Good advice on the license and insuring.

The guy who gave me a quote today says he can tie it into an existing pipe half-way and run 3/4 inch pipe instead of 1 & 1/4. Is there some kind of equation or formula to figure what length of pipe, and diameter of pipe for a certain numbers of BTUs?

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Good advice on the license and insuring.

The guy who gave me a quote today says he can tie it into an existing pipe half-way and run 3/4 inch pipe instead of 1 & 1/4. Is there some kind of equation or formula to figure what length of pipe, and diameter of pipe for a certain numbers of BTUs?

As a plumber, it would not bother me in the least if you wanted to see the chart from my gas code book.

Ask him, I have no question he won't mind.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Gas line upgrade

I am in need of two additional gas lines to be run after having my furnace being moved from the basement to the attic. The other line is for a new gas oven. The existing smaller diameter pipe will have to replaced with 1 1/4 inch diameter pipe and run all the back to the main outside the house. We have a conventional foundation with enough space to almost stand up straight. This is where all the pipe will be run.

Will it deliver sufficient supply of gas pressure for both the oven and furnace? If the furnace kicks on while cooking, will I notice a difference in output on the oven burners? The oven has a single burner that will use 15K BTUs. The smaller burners use about 6K BTU. The Rheem Gas Furnace (RGPN07EAMGR) is 70,000 BTU. We have a water heater and gas logs that will be T'd off and fed before it gets to the oven and furnace. Is there an option to upgrade a gas main to your house for more throughput?

Is an estimate for $732 pretty much in line? I know that there are too many variables to take into account so I was just wondering if its close to being the 'ballpark'. I like to do things myself but I am scared of gas.

YES IT WILL WORK JUST OVERWHELMING NEED TO SLEEP FOREVER ! !

SEE CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING ! ! !

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The gas pipe sizing is according to published charts and is not an "I think it will work" item. There are many variables besides the btu's of the burners, (your oven and burner btus seem low unless that is what the manufacturer states), overall length of the system and capacity at each connection point. Whether using part of the system will work or not depends on that chart. From here that is not a ballpark price, it is a sandlot price, but even that is subject to the working conditions and the plumber doing the work.

jmcintosh

Reaction score
Carbon Monoxide poisoning

-In Response to MACPLUMB 777 :confused:

I am concerned by your comments. What are the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning from a stove and how do I avoid them? We have a vent hood above the oven. Are Carbon Monoxide detectors not sufficient? We have one in the hall to our bedroom.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Co

He was using hyperbole. Properly operating and installed gas burning equipment should not create a CO hazard, and has nothing to do with the gas pipe installation.

TheOak

Reaction score
Could you not have the pressure upped on your gas line by the gas company? This way you could use your existing piping. You would need to have regulators attached to all of your gas appliances, but I think that would be cheaper than having to run new gas lines.

Edit:

I just installed a tankless water heater. That is what they did for me to ensure that I had enough gas for the tankless and my furnance. They upped the incoming gas pressure and then placed a regulator to prevent the tankless and furnance from getting too much gas. I had 3/4 all the way. Otherwise, they would probably have had to up my lines to 1 inch or something more.

Edit:

Of course your plumber would be able to answer these questions, but if not suggested, you could play dumb and simply just ask "Hey, what about upping the gas pressure, is that possible?"

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks