Unions. Yes or NO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
A great experience for you cookie which I'm glad you experienced; not everyone gets that luxury.

For the most part, people "tolerate" their situation until it goes *its up, and then it's over.

My parents are practically the last generation of those who "stick it out" in the thick and thin.

I wish more people stayed together, but the reality is marriage is no longer a sacred vow.

Best words ever spoken by a preacher:

"I've been at weddings that should of been funerals!"

I laughed my ass off when I heard that, and he would know better than anyone with the revolving door policy he's seen with that bride or groom that just keeps reappearing with another mate, kids in tow.

Cookie

Reaction score
I never wanted to get married. Then, one day, I met this man who was kind, and whose beliefs met my own. Together we did things to make this world a little better. Tim made the difference before he died for many.

Tim had a Santa's Workshop. He collected old bikes, fixed them, ( 2-wheelers, tri's, racers even one uni-cycle) and at Xmas he gave away as many as 50 bikes. I was in charge of adding the bells and whistles. :)

He was heavily into the sciences and would do science experiments to teach kids in the neighborhood. He was funny, he would say, "this is what you don't ever want to do!" and teach safety. (he was an EE)

He was a nice man. So, if I ever marry again, he has to be a nice man.

A great experience for you cookie which I'm glad you experienced; not everyone gets that luxury.

For the most part, people "tolerate" their situation until it goes *its up, and then it's over.

My parents are practically the last generation of those who "stick it out" in the thick and thin.

I wish more people stayed together, but the reality is marriage is no longer a sacred vow.

Best words ever spoken by a preacher:

"I've been at weddings that should of been funerals!"

I laughed my ass off when I heard that, and he would know better than anyone with the revolving door policy he's seen with that bride or groom that just keeps reappearing with another mate, kids in tow.

Last edited:

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The secret for me was to come to a personal understanding that I am way way immature for my age so I married a woman 13 years younger. We get along just fine. :D

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I never wanted to get married. Then, one day, I met this man who was kind, and whose beliefs met my own. Together we did things to make this world a little better. Tim made the difference before he died for many.

Tim had a Santa's Workshop. He collected old bikes, fixed them, ( 2-wheelers, tri's, racers even one uni-cycle) and at Xmas he gave away as many as 50 bikes. I was in charge of adding the bells and whistles. :)

He was heavily into the sciences and would do science experiments to teach kids in the neighborhood. He was funny, he would say, "this is what you don't ever want to do!" and teach safety. (he was an EE)

He was a nice man. So, if I ever marry again, he has to be a nice man.

Cookie,
What a great direction for this thread to take!

Reading this, I wish I could have met your husband - sounds like a fine person all the way around with a huge heart. Your words are a wonderful tribute to him - in the end, a person can't ask for much better reputation than kindness and a desire to help others.

I am betting that you helped bring out the best in him (and vice versa).

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mp Mark, that is not ok.

Attachments

• th_0830081318a1.jpg
    th_0830081318a1.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can keep acting immature and foolish, but I will no longer stoop to your level.

You guy's bring nothing to the fourm if you keep posting like you are. You look like fool's so keep doing what you are doing.

Cookie

Reaction score
Steve, thank you.

Cookie,
What a great direction for this thread to take!

Reading this, I wish I could have met your husband - sounds like a fine person all the way around with a huge heart. Your words are a wonderful tribute to him - in the end, a person can't ask for much better reputation than kindness and a desire to help others.

I am betting that you helped bring out the best in him (and vice versa).

onezee20

Master plumber and Bathtub Befinisher.
Reaction score
Website
www.plumberindenver.com
Union Member

I was/am a union member in NYC.Our package was $86 per hour.You had to produce or you wwould get laid off. There were not many slackers.A fair days work for a fair days pay.
The best medical benefits around.Vacation,holidaypay and sick days.It was a great job and the bosses and the workers get along.

The best you would be able to get from a non union boss was at most $35 an hour and there better be blood on the floor.Yet the non union bosses charge almost as much as the union bosses.
The poster that said that the unions set the trend for the hourly rate is absolutly right.If there were not union plumbers out there getting $55-$60 an hour.There would not be non union plumbers getting $25-$35 and hr.We would all be getting $15 dollars and hour.
That said I moved to Denver from Brooklyn NY 3 years ago.My intentions were to work union and get my pension.(which I worked union in NYC for 24 years and when I an 59 I will still get $2400 and month whether I work union another day in my life or not)It did not work out for me.

I worked with a bunch of b*** kissing brown nosers that could not do plumbing if their life depended on it.
I dont think the whole local was like that but I dont want to find out.
I tested for my Masters Licensed here(I also have a NYC masters License),have it and I am now on my own.

I have a few questions for the businessmen in here because you can be the greatest plumber in the world but if you cant run a business you are finished and I am feeling the pressure.
If I can find out how to post i would like to ask some questions.
Ray

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Ray in the section index a little below Terry's picture is a button that says "New Thread"

Click it!

Welcome to the forum...

Brother

Reaction score
Union is a good place to start, ie retirement vesting, good pay and medical etc.. But I understand its not for everyone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks