Where can I get a Bradford White gas water heater to install myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What makes the expansion tank a requirement is if the water supply system has a PRV installed or, a check valve either installed in the line or, in the meter. This creates a closed system where thermal expansion can cause the T&P valve to activate. Some local codes require the installation. This usually coincides with check valves in meters.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Absolutely Redwood. My meter has the ability to flow backwards. So I have no need for one.:)

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
Expansion tanks and drip legs aere in local code here, but rarely installed.

I am installing a expansion tank on my remodel, but most of the changeouts I do, there is no room in the shed, or the space allocated for the heater.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
While I do believe you it is hard for me to imagine that there isn't room somewhere on the system to install / pipe one, at the heater or else where.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Absolutely Redwood. My meter has the ability to flow backwards. So I have no need for one.:)

That has little relevance to the need for an expansion tank. Regardless of having a meter without a check valve, or having a bypass-type PRV, the house side pressure must rise to point greater than street pressure, before it is finally capped at that point by the flowback. So you house pressure can temporarily rise well above the 80 PSI max point that we talk about. This rise is not good for the plumbing and fixtures in the house.

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
While I do believe you it is hard for me to imagine that there isn't room somewhere on the system to install / pipe one, at the heater or else where.

When your in a 24 x 24 cabinet or room, especially one with a shed outdoors, it is impossible to add an expansion tank, unless you do it ont he exterior, and it will look horrible.

Most of the vents are plumbed right dead center middle, no room for sure.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That has little relevance to the need for an expansion tank. Regardless of having a meter without a check valve, or having a bypass-type PRV, the house side pressure must rise to point greater than street pressure, before it is finally capped at that point by the flowback. So you house pressure can temporarily rise well above the 80 PSI max point that we talk about. This rise is not good for the plumbing and fixtures in the house.

I do not understand the physics of this. If I do not have a closed system, how can the pressure in my house be different to that before the meter?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm guessing the key word is "temporarily". If you've got a long run of 1" or 3/4" pipe full of water, and you apply pressure at one end, I'll bet you could get the pressure up pretty high before that column of water starts moving -- water being essentially uncompressible. Having said that, if the pressure rises gradually, e.g., as a water heater heats up the tank and the stored water expands, I can't see the pressure rising noticeably if the system is open.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Let's take an extreme example...say your street pressure is 140 pounds and the prv is set to 60psi. The house pressure would have to get to 140 or higher pounds before that bypass would work. Is that what you want? No, so put in an expansion tank and it will stay at 60psi as the water gets heated.

gnatlee

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I Passed

I got the city inspection today, and I passed the inspection. I asked about the drip leg, and was told that it isn't necessary. So I'm off the hook now. thank you all for the tips.

gnatlee

Reaction score
No changes. The inspector told me that drip legs are not necessary in san diego. and he pulled on the sesmic straps and was satisfied with it. and didn't say anything about my gas valve either.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
If you cant beat them, join them

No changes. The inspector told me that drip legs are not necessary in san diego. and he pulled on the sesmic straps and was satisfied with it. and didn't say anything about my gas valve either.

This is the exact reason that I only offer these upgrades to my customers. I dont try to impose them on people because. I will probably lose the job by imposeing them on the home owner,
and end up looking like a crook for even offering them the upgrades....,,,.

Its amazeing that the home owner can slop
something in like this mess =and it passes with flying colors....

and then it makes everyone on this site look
like a bunch of dumb-asses for trying to give
knowledgable advice and "enforce the codes"...

anit life grand, like it is.....LOL.....

If I would do something like that,
I would probably get into big trouble....

GNATLEE......on another note....

did the inpspector like that bent up broom handle
you used to hang the expansion tank on the wall with???..

did you use a couple of spikes to
nail that puppy to the wall. ????
those tanks can get heavy over a long period of time....

God, I hope that you at least hit a stud.....LOL

attachment.php

Last edited:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Even though the inspector didn't make you change the gas valve you should. It would be the prudent thing to do...the rest of it is fine if your happy with it.

gnatlee

Reaction score
it's not a broom stick handle. It's a ladder hanger from home depot. And yes, I did screw it onto a stud. so it's safe.

most people were cool with their advice, and i did appreciate it. just because some advice wasn't followed doesn't mean that I didn't hear it out.

hell, even some pro plumbers didn't follow the all the advice. Some didn't install an expansion tank, and some didn't use a drip leg. so just because I passed my inspection, you think that the inspector let me slide?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If a so called "pro plumber" didn't do something he was supposed to then he is not a pro and if an inspector let you slide on something it just means he is a bad inspector and not a "pro inspector".

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
water heater inspectors

95% of inspectors that work for the city are usually relaitves of someone higher up in the city politics....

Most of them have taken a crash course in overall construction and basically know only one or two things to look for when inspecting something like this..

they are underpaid and this is their foot in the door to move up into a city hall desk job when their Uncle Bill calls them when an opeing happens.

just my opinioin,
but considering what just passed here I would say
that he was already going on to greener pastures soon.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I used to hold an FAA Inspection Authorization for aircraft. I had a standing bet on the airfield where I hung out that I could find a technical violation of rules, regulations, good practice, etc., on any aircraft. I never lost that bet. Does that mean those aircraft should have been grounded, and the operator punished? No. All rules and codes I've ever seen have been written by human beings and leave a lot to the imagination or interpretation of the inspectors -- who in general do a decent job of protecting the public safety. Granted, some jobs don't look pretty, and we all can find ways we might have done things differently, but that doesn't mean that all "pig slop" candidates are a threat to the public. In spite of government efforts to the contrary, common sense occasionally prevails.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You guys are finally coming around to my way of thinking. "Let your conscience be your guide." Just because an inspector lets it pass doesn't always mean it's right. And just because an inspector fails you, it doesn't always mean it's wrong.

In the last apt. complex I lived at, all the T&P valves are plumbed up and out the roof. I told everyone about how dangerous this was, managers, owners, inspectors.. they all ignored me. Every one of those valves could have leaked at some point and be useless. Not much of a conscience in this border town.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks