Where can I get a Bradford White gas water heater to install myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

kalanikaau

Reaction score
Your neighbor has an installation that is not to code. The 2 valves create a closed system that relies very heavily on the proper operation of the T&P valve to prevent the water heater from launching through the roof.

Nice video to watch here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJoyuUJj2Q

Gnatlee,
Bradford White Water heaters are only sold to licensed plumbers. Since your last water heater was installed I guarantee that there have been changes to the code regarding water heaters. Among those changes are FVIR, Low Nox and a few others. Bradford White IMHO is the best water heater on the market for the money and against many other brands like night and day. This is a gas water heater! Improper Installation can have serious ramifications for you and your family. If you are not a licensed plumber, please find one and ask him to install a Bradford White.

Jeez, I was going to install a shutoff valve on the hot side of the water heater also, but after watching the video, I think not........
Thankfully (I hope) T&P's are reliable devices :eek:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This post is giving DIYers a bad name.

Here is mine.....
IMGP1180.JPG
And no, I do not need an expansion tank or earthquake straps or a floor drain. And I absolutely do not need a wooden crate (what was that?) to put it on.

Notice how the copper shines as I slowly replace the old (but functioning) pipe with new stuff.

Last edited:

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
This post is giving DIYers a bad name.

Here is mine.....
View attachment 4302
And no, I do not need an expansion tank or earthquake straps or a floor drain. And I absolutely do not need a wooden crate (what was that?) to put it on.

Notice how the copper shines as I slowly replace the old (but functioning) pipe with new stuff.

Straps required because of eqrthquakes here in california.

Wood crate, being a stand, they come in metal, but this one was made, this "wood crate" is equal to a water heater stand, raises heater 18" off ground, required in a garage, UPC Code reg. keeps the fire box of the water heater supposedly away from explosive vapor

Your T&P is not drained to an approved location, according to UPC. anytime it can cause flood damage, it needs to be drained to an approved location.

Depends on where you live and you local codes.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Thanks WestCoastPlumber. Since my basement is unfinished, the TPR valve is allowed to puke on the floor.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
pukeing on the floor

Thanks WestCoastPlumber. Since my basement is unfinished, the TPR valve is allowed to puke on the floor.

Usually the heater wont puke on the floor
untill a good number of years has passed by....

the ones I have seen "puke" usually ruin something that
has been laid on the floor months or years after the heater was installed......

usually the home owenr hasnt gone done in the basement for a
week or two and when he finds about 3 inches
of water marinateing cordboard boxes full of old
family treasures his wife put down there for safe keeping....

then it hits the fan...

and he wishes he had piped that t+p valve to a drain

but that is life.......

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Whatch think Mark? Should Gnatlee enter his Bradford White installation into your Pig Slop Plumbing Contest?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

bredian

Reaction score
Please disclose your DIY work to any buyers!

California here.

If you do decide to install it yourself, please disclose that fact to any potential buyers as you have a responsibility for their safety.

In CA, the work requires a permit.

All plumbers, as well as electricians I believe, are required to be certified.

I've gotten to the point where I like to see the licensee on the job for most trades.

In CA, its only required that a home have a permit. There is so much cash trade done here that theres no guarantee that a home is assembled to any level of quality just because it passed a sample of inspections.

I saw one home, unlicensed contractor, sold for about $1 mil, filed off serial numbers on appliances, roof tile spread too far, landscape and concrete above stucco screeds...etc. Theres nobody looking. Be careful out there!

Walkman

Reaction score
Nice how the lower strapping also provides extra storage for unused piping.

I am concerned that the washer might 'bounce' into the gas fittings when it's overloaded. Hopefully something prevents contact.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Flexible connectors category....

Basically it will all work...useing flexible connectors...

the fellow probably spend long hours putting
that mess together......

I think this mess falls into the category of

"creative expression useing flexible connectors"....

Its sort of like man vs plumbing....

I can actuallly see and feel this fellows frustration ,,,,
through all the bends and kinks in those flex connectors...
his battle all day long against that water heater

hand bending that hanger out of an old broom handle to
hold up the expansioin tank.... I would love to look behind that exp.
tank to see how it is nailed up to the wall......and the brass tee he used....beautiful....

how many trips to Lowes would you guess he made before his eventual victory.????....

his workmanship says it all... bravo.......this is Priceless artwork .......

when you dont really know what you are doing but you
cant admit that to your wife......and somehow you find
the parts at lowes to finish the job.....is Priceless......

the wood frame under the heater looks like something
I would see around here....... I dont think that is even necessary
in the basement either.......

this work really moves me.....

the earth quake straps look real good...

Last edited:

WestcoastPlumber

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
www.wcplumbing.biz
He should have had final inspection by now:mad:

I wonder if it passed??:confused::confused:

did it? did it? if it didn't, it won't be a suprise, atleast come back and tell us, and then attach a pic of the corrected version.;)

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I really don't think its doing to be inspected...
Shoulda been done by now...
He's just gonna leave it as is,

gnatlee

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

It's great to see that people are so caring and concerned around here. I scheduled the inspection for monday, but had to reschedule because the inspector i got assigned to only does single family homes and multi-units with three units maxed. Since I live in a 4 unit townhome, i had to get another inspector. So I couldn't schedule one until next week. I promise, it'll get done. Had I not care, I wouldn't bother replying by now. So please hang in there. and no explosions yet.

and thanks for the best pig slop nomination. I actually got a good laugh from the broomstick joke. as for the flex hose, I figured it's the best solution for ease of changing out the heater the next time around. as for the wooden base... this was the original wood frame underneath drywalling. The original stand was no more than a piece of 1/2 inch plywood for the top, and three drywall pieces for the sides with paint.

I'll take more pictures next week of the back of the heater. It has about an 1/2 inch clearance (not much) so I think that the lower strap is fine the way it is. and of course, I'll take pictures of where the T/P drains to.

have a good night.

gnatlee

Reaction score
btw, it did take two more trips to before finishing the job. one to sears for some wrenches, and then to home depot for the pipe cutter. The one I got from lowes was a piece of crap.

and one last question, are thermal expansion tanks necessary in california? i mean, if a professional licensed plumber was on the job installing water heaters, would they absolutely positively install one? after all, it's an important safety feature right?

gnatlee

Reaction score
also,

do you think that all licensed plumbers would install a drip leg? even ones in california?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Expansion tanks are not required by the CA plumbing code. Local codes enforcement in San Diego does not require them. But most WH manufacturers mention the possible need for them.

The average water heater is higher BTU these days....40,000 as opposed to 36,000 or lower some years ago. This higher BTU causes faster recovery, making an expansion tank necessary where the heater being replaced got along without one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks