Review my waste lines before I glue please

Users who are viewing this thread

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
hey guys,

just finished the dry fit of my new kitchen and powder room waste lines, but before I get ahead of myself and glue everything up I would love to get some comments from the pros. I'm feeling pretty confident that everything is up to code, but I'd rather not find out the hard way that its not. Couple notes about the photo -- that plastic strapping is just temporary, and you'll also see a fitting sitting on top of the insulated pipes, that also was temporary to support the waste line.

thanks in advance for your time.
Sean

Attachments

• WasteLineReview2.jpg
    WasteLineReview2.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 505

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drains

I do not see a vent on the toilet line, and no way to tell about the tub/lav drain until it is finished, or you show how you intend to do it.

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
thanks for the reply HJ -- I have attached another pic with the lav waste roughed in, I'll remove that cabinet to give access to the cleanout.

I'm in Jersey and I believe we are IRC which does not require venting of toilets. However, I thought that 3" vent that I have to the roof would serve as a vent for the toilet. Is that a bad assumption on my part?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2868.jpg
    IMG_2868.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 463

TMB9862

Reaction score
I have pretty much the same setup on my toilets (original 1918 cast iron) and it works fine. That doesn't mean it's the right way to do it though. If I ever re-did the plumbing you bet everything would get properly vented. I also have the old slow flushing 5gpf bowls which probably helps quite a bit.

I've never heard of toilets not having to be vented. That 3in line may vent the toilet but is not the right way to do it and the trap could still get sucked dry, the fact that you used 4in for the toilet waste will help a little. I'd see what you can do about getting a proper vent in there.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Technically, once the toilet line turned downwards it became unvented, regardless of any vent nearby. As far as the tub/lav drain, what we can see is okay.

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
according to Taunton's "Code Check Complete" -- the IRC does not require W.C.s to be vented - see pics. That being said -- I think I might be able to replace that Wye with a 4x4x4 long sweep (with bushing for the 3" vent) - raise it up closer to the joists - and bring the horizontal section of the WC waste line below the joists and tie it into the sweep there. That way the vent is located at the point where the toilet line turned downward - and that would be an acceptable means of venting - that is if I understood you correctly HJ

"Technically, once the toilet line turned downwards it became unvented"

Thanks for your feedback, its much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 414

fineline

Design/Build
Reaction score
how's this look? I'm personally not crazy about that double street 45 connection, seems like a place for "it" to slow down and potentially collect.

thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 406

Construct30

Reaction score
You are correct the IRC does not require a WC to be vented, I wonder if that is a good concept with the new toilets. They use less water, but flush quicker.

I think the general Idea is that a toilet is not vented no matter what you do because the trap weir is higher than the top of the vent inlet no matter what you do or how far from the stack it is.

If the line were any other fixture you would need to use a sanitary tee and be closer to the stack for the fixture to vent, so the change didn't really help the vent idea. The use of a wye or long sweep would not work regardless. If you are under the IRC the toilet should pass inspection.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Since we do not consider the IPC to be a real code, we are not surprised at anything it allows. Under the UPC, and using a strict interpretation that combo should be a sanitary tee, and unless there are other considerations, it could be turned outward and a single 45 bend used to make the connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks