Recent content by yNotry

1. yNotry

Looking to upgrade 50 yr old 1/2” trunk+branch plumbing

Yes, understood. Was asking since PEX tee fitting restricts/reduces flow some. Was thinking less restriction in main cold line to manifold is better, especially for adding just a low flow RO.
  2. yNotry

Thanks JADNashua, Wayne and Jeff for the suggestions. Given what you’ve said, what I’ve read and that I will have a 6 branch manifold, I’m thinking the following: a) Separate 1/2” recirc lines to furthest fixture in each group (5 or 6 depending if include washer) running back to.. b) Separate...
  3. yNotry

Thanks Jeff, JADNashua, Reach4 and Wayne, I appreciate and have incorporated all your feedback. I’ve decided to go with pex crimp to compression stop valves where the pex is held by drop ear bend supports attached to studs since a) the plumbing is 50+ years and comes up thru floor and b)...
  4. yNotry

Thanks Jeff for confirmation. I appreciate all the great ideas + discussion on recirc. But right now I’m trying to keep focused on the upgrading current system. I’m total agreement and will run 1/2” for future recirc options. My only question which hasn’t been answered is how much length to...
  5. yNotry

Ah, got it. Thanks for clarifying. Thought you were comparing to copper. I’m staying away from plastic fittings, using brass, stainless or copper.
  6. yNotry

Thanks Reach4. Fortunately open walls and no fishing involved. So I can enjoy the savings. PEX B 1” bends pretty easily to 18” radius but gets harder with 9-12” radius. Thanks, tho I think you mean smaller ID. Yeah it may not make that much difference technically but makes a bigger difference...
  7. yNotry

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated. That would be great, thanks! I only have room for 9” to 12” radius bends. Thanks, will use ear drop supports. Am planning on PEX direct to supply stops. I’ve looked but can’t find equivalents for sweep elbows. Which are hard to find as well. You’re approximation...
  8. yNotry

Thanks Wayne, explanations much appreciated. Thanks for pointing out the difference. Studies have shown end to end flow rates are generally similar when smoothness and lack of elbows are taken into account vs copper. After taking a closer look at the NAHB study, your point on cold is proven...
  9. yNotry

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated. The split is currently 3ft after the well tank, well before everything else and am planning to do the same. I’m not understanding why the bibs need more capacity since the current 1/2” supplies more than enough pressure+volume whether washing cars, watering lawn...
  10. yNotry

Thanks jadNashua for all the suggestions and feedback - much appreciated. The longest run is to the front bib at 35ft and shortest back bib at 5 ft. The others are all 25 ft or less - upstair kitchen 25, washer 20, bath 15, master 10, downstair washer 20, kitchen 15, bath 15. The manifold is...
  11. yNotry

Hi all, I’m planning to upgrade my 50 year old 1/2” trunk+branch copper plumbing so my 90 yr old Dad can live downstairs. I’ve been doing a bunch of research and reading from this forum. Lots of great helpful questions, info and feedback. I’d appreciate feedback to confirm and improve what I’ve...
  12. yNotry

All faucets+toilets spitting+growling air

So given the water emptied out of the tank and pipe to well in minutes, is it likely the pitless o-ring? Which could also allow more air in than a small hole? Certainly would! Save a lot of work taking off and putting back on check valve. I had faucets open when I removed topside check valve. So...
  13. yNotry

I’m confused. How does it solve itself or be insignificant when that has been the cause of the spitting and growling which continued despite having an above ground check valve. Given the leak drained the 5 gallons in a couple of minutes it would seem more likely to be in the well, no? Possibly...
  14. yNotry

No worries, appreciate the help. Was wondering if moving the switch to the other side is better. Thoughts? Even more pressing, how do I problem solve the leak in the well?
  15. yNotry

No prob, appreciate the help. Did the shaving cream test before taking everything apart. No suction revealed after 30 minutes. Was able to get the plastic fitting out of black poly and then twist it out of check valve with vise grips.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks