Recent content by Yankee1423

1. Yankee1423

Rotate toilet after it has been set

I had a friend come in and install a toilet in our remodeled basement. When I got home, I noticed right away that the tank was 1/4" further from the wall on one side then the other. I measured the distance to the bolts and they are even. Would I be looking for trouble if I loosened the bolts...
  2. Yankee1423

Basement Insulation Options

I was putting up drywall in the basement this weekend and took a quick look behind the insulation on the exterior wall before putting the gypsum up. In the above grade area of the basement wall, I put in 1.5" XPS between stud bays and then spray foamed the edges. I then put in unfaced batts to...
  3. Yankee1423

Last question I promise. For behind the shower unit, could I stack 2 1" pieces? The one inch board can bend enough to get behind the unit and I figure that if I put one piece in and then PL300 the heck out of a second piece and shove it in there, I have essentially 2" of foam board even though...
  4. Yankee1423

Basement Insulation - Updated Well after getting the inspector's approval before tackling the project, I decided that it might be just as easy to cut loose all the exterior framed walls and do it right. After tempering fears from the wife that it would not add weeks to the project, I went to...
  5. Yankee1423

Ok, thanks for all the guidance. The city inspector said we are required to have a vapor barrier between the gypsum and any type of insulation so I'll either need to try and present enough evidence to get a pass or get something up there to get me through inspection that won't create problems...
  6. Yankee1423

Critique my Electrical Plan

I have no problem adding an outlet on that wall along with a couple others. The reason for a 20A 12x circuit on the wet bar was due to the small appliances that will likely get used (microwave/fridge/blender). I didn't think adding those receptacles to an existing circuit would be a good idea...
  7. Yankee1423

Dana, A few last questions. In order to save a little cash, do you see an issue with cut and cobble the 2" XPS between studs with foam in stud gap. Then take the unfaced R-13 that was in there already and compress that between the XPS and Gypsum? I see that compression would reduce the batt...
  8. Yankee1423

Ok, I think I'm pretty close. Here is the latest. I've also modified the some of the wire sizes and circuit sizes but I'm not opposed to switching to build in a little cushion. If I reduce the number of circuits I'd like to but I don't know if that could be done. There is a 3 way at the...
  9. Yankee1423

I planned on the GFCI protection for those receptacles. Just didn't get that on the plan evidently. When you say it is overkill, could you provide some specifics or an example of where it may be overboard? I am certainly open to suggestions.
  10. Yankee1423

Want to have a plan to present the electrician. I may try to run most of the circuits myself back to the box and let him do the rest. I wasn't sure if it would be advisable to go to 20 A w/ 12/x on some of the circuits such as the can lights. Currently the basement has a 15A circuit for...
  11. Yankee1423

Great. Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can get started on this project this weekend. Will need to call someone about spraying behind the shower surround. Not sure if someone will come out for that small of a job. Any other options for behind that area other then spray foam? That wall is...
  12. Yankee1423

Thanks for the reply. In order to keep costs down and within my budget, I'm trying to limit the amount of spray foam that I use and time is less of a factor so the cut'n'cobble approach will have to be my first choice. How does this sound for a plan: 1. 1.5" XPS in all stud cavities leaving...
  13. Yankee1423

I am in the process of finishing a basement (location is Iowa with cold winters and humid summers). The builder had put up all of the exterior walls already and put in unfaced fiberglass between the studs. After reading several articles and posts, I think putting in XPS foam board would be a...
  14. Yankee1423

Outlet Spacing

I'm drawing up my electric plan for a basement finish and came ran into a spot where I may have electrical outlet overkill. This all goes back to the rule requiring outlets on any wall 2' or more. As you can see in the diagram, I have a closet in the bedroom where the walls are all right...
  15. Yankee1423

Sump Pump Lid

This is probably a dumb question but I can't seem to figure out how I would remove my sump pump lid cover. There is a passive radon system along with the sump pump. I would like to get a backup system put in the pit but to do that I need to be able to remove the lid. Will I end up having to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks