Recent content by WorldPeace

1. WorldPeace

White, Milky Substance in Brine Tank

I performed the 3 manual regenerations with just clean water. The purpose was to clean out that gross, milky, white substance. It's interesting that you mentioned that during the brine draw, water comes from the water supply, not the resin tank. That milky white substance slowly disappeared...
  2. WorldPeace

Diamond vs Morton

Anyone experience any problems with Diamond Crystal Bright and Soft pellets recently? I know this has been discussed many times before but I'm wondering if the slightly grey color of Morton Clean and Protect salts are fine. My back story is the following. Recently, my brine tank was...
  3. WorldPeace

Water Filters of America

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Water Filters of America. I ended up going with AFW Filters because I heeded Dittohead's advice about using either a Fleck or Clack. I do think that besides the control valve and resin beads, most water softeners are basically the same. It's just a...
  4. WorldPeace

I just got word back from my town's water department. A nearby firehouse (½ mile away) has been undergoing construction and been using a fire hydrant with their construction equipment. There is no way to be certain but there is a good chance this might have been the cause rather than the salt...
  5. WorldPeace

I've only had my water softener for a year. And I didn't ever clean it since it was installed about 11 months ago. I don't know when the brine tank got contaminated since I had my teenage son refill the salt the last few times. (I would tell him to check the salt level and fill it if it was...
  6. WorldPeace

If it's coming from the Diamond Crystal pellets, what do you think it is? NaCl dissolves completely into the water but this milky substance settled at the bottom of the brine tank. (There was also an oily, white film on the water surface.)
  7. WorldPeace

Brine Tank Inlet Water - Cloud of Debris, Floating Flakes

The same thing happened to me this week. I'm guessing it's a bad batch of salt which contaminated the resin tank. I'm not sure though. I used bleach and then a water softener cleaner (Rheems) to attempt to clean the resin tank. Afterward, I noticed a milky, white substance coming out during...
  8. WorldPeace

My System Info 64k-56SXT-10 Brand AFWFilters Capacity 64k Resin 10% crosslink Resin Tank Size 2.0 cubic ft Brine Tank Size 18"x40" Round Brine Tank with Float and Air Check Brine Fill Rate (BLFC) .5 GPM DLFC 3.5 GPM Injector #2 Service flow 10 GPM Peak flow 15 GPM Flow required for backwash 4...
  9. WorldPeace

"Resetting" the Resin in a Water Softener

Thanks for the help! I ended up performing a brine draw (without the slow rinse) for 2 hours. Then, I let the resin tank sit in salt water (by skipping the slow rinse and rapid rinse cycle) overnight. In the morning, after performing a rapid rinse, the water coming out of the faucet was much...
  10. WorldPeace

Understanding Fleck Settings

The info you p The info you provided helped a lot. The water is much softer now. It's like night and day. This is what I did, using your suggestions. I increased the brine fill to 60. (Big mistake though. I thought the float/shut-off valve would stop the brine fill once it reached the...
  11. WorldPeace

This wasn't an old unit. I purchased and installed this unit in February. I didn't notice but right from the start, there was a leak exactly where the float was attached to the shut-off valve. I only noticed the leak about 2 months later when I noticed the water wasn't getting softened. So...
  12. WorldPeace

Smart idea. Never would have thought of testing the drain with a taste test. I'll see if I can do that later tonight. It does seem to be draining but I don't know if it's draining fast. I'll check. My injector is a #2. I haven't cleaned it yet since I'm going to wait until everyone goes...
  13. WorldPeace

Ah...I think I'm starting to get it. Yep, it's city water. What if I increase the brine fill to 60 minutes and then, increase the brine drain stage to 120? Then, the water softener would be rinsing the resin with brine water for much longer then.
  14. WorldPeace

Understanding Fleck Settings

Will clean the injector and screen. Thanks! I have a question about how the C/BF pairs work. If you decrease the numbers, you regenerate more frequently, right? If so, how is less salt used? If the brine drain stage is always 60 minutes, doesn't that mean that the same amount of salt is...
  15. WorldPeace

Hello, Community, I have a perplexing problem. I installed a water softener earlier this year. It worked great in the beginning. However, unbeknownst to me, there was a leak in the Brine Draw tube. So, for 2 months, the control head was never actually drawing brine from the brine tank. So...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks