Recent content by WayOutWest

1. WayOutWest

How to locate septic transport pipe? (pump chamber to mound)

Victory! I found the pipe. Will write much more later, including a how-to with pictures so nobody ever has to suffer through this again. The trick was to rent an excavator. It wasn't cheap, but within five minutes of firing it up I had pulled a chunk of pipe, still connected, out of the...
  2. WayOutWest

That is a pretty good idea. I think that's my fallback plan now if I can't find it after a few more days of wallowing in the mud. Well I can do that. There is a threaded PVC union in the pump chamber, where the pipe leaves the chamber. I loosened it in order to get most of the skunkwater to...
  3. WayOutWest

Halp! Unfortunately I dug myself into a really deep hole here. I feel like the guy in my avatar image. Called the county and they assured me that no permits are required to work on the transport pipe -- only need permits to work on the tanks, pump, or drainfield. I realized that I would need...
  4. WayOutWest

Turns out that was overly optimistic. As I started digging a bigger and bigger hole more groundwater came in, and eventually it turned into a mud-hole. No, the cleanouts are upstream of the tank. The order of components from upstream to downstream is: house, sewer pipe, cleanouts, first...
  5. WayOutWest

Most building permits around here require a septic inspection. Even if the new building isn't connected to the system they get to inspect it if the "vehicle access path" from the public road to the new building crosses over or "near" any part of the system, including the transport pipe. So I...
  6. WayOutWest

Ah, fortunately this close to the ocean the frost depth is about one or two inches at most.
  7. WayOutWest

Okay, maybe I exaggerated the grossness of the pipe contents a bit :)
  8. WayOutWest

Ugh, I was hoping there was something simpler. The pipe into which this must be pushed is, literally, full of sh*t. Also I'm not thrilled about having to cut apart the pump chamber piping in order to get the probe in there. There's a filter upstream of the transport pipe, so simply flushing...
  9. WayOutWest

Hi, I need to figure out the exact path of the ~125-foot transport pipe running from my septic system pump to the mound. Is there a trick for doing this? Sadly there are no as-builts, the engineer who designed the system in 2007 is deceased, and the drawings are pretty vague about the...
  10. WayOutWest

Videos of PVC pump extraction and HDPE pipe install using winch

Alright, I've uploaded the videos to "metacafe" because the forum software allows embedding videos from that site. I'll update the first post with the new links as they finish uploading. Edit: ok, links updated. I guess the embedded videos will appear whenever metacity's reviewers verify that...
  11. WayOutWest

Alright, let's try D.tube: removal, best part (turn on your speakers): https://d.tube/v/wellwinch1234/QmRLocgWTKtNF5fLbsCKGZJtKsZZ71CkDMHSu42fyaSaFZ new pump install, top view: https://d.tube/#!/v/wellwinch1234/QmexB33gPuyM8XQ19LHyMyt5T52booVsEcK9EZb7SSCDTG Hrm, looks like the forum software...
  12. WayOutWest

Yep, they won't let me create an account without giving them my cell phone number. Not gonna happen.
  13. WayOutWest

Well gee, that's awesome, Vimeo deleted all my videos and my account. Censorship is so much fun. I guess they thought my well plumbing videos were COVID-19 misinformation or something.
  14. WayOutWest

Safe to put metering device between pump and tank?

Thanks! I'm kinda old-school, not into data about my home being transmitted to some cloud server in China. The DAE-MJ100 I've got has a dry-contact output (like a light switch that the meter flips on and off) which is all I need, I take care of the electronics from that point. If there's a...
  15. WayOutWest

Edit: well, metacafe seems to be in no hurry to review my videos. However you can view them on d.tube. Definitely make sure your speakers are turned on for the first video (totally safe for work). removal, best part...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks