Recent content by vpn33

1. vpn33

Where could this smell be coming from?

I just wanted to update that I did go on the roof and smelled all of the roof vents. I did not get any strong smells from any of them. They all had a very faint sewage smell which I would imagine is normal, but the smell was definitely different from what I can smell from that vent below the...
  2. vpn33

Interesting thing..... I was just walking up to the front door and got a pretty big whiff of the smell and it was a little windy. I went down to smell inside the vent and didn't smell anything. Maybe some of the smell is coming from that roof vent or the toilet or shower vent that are also...
  3. vpn33

They definitely are nasty. I have rats in the attic before and also in the crawl space (it is not a full basement). Pulled all of the insulation out of the crawl space and it was nasty. Now I am starting to second guess if this is plumbing related. I have had pipes apart full of sludge and...
  4. vpn33

That sounds like it would definitely work, but do you have any other ideas (maybe involving a camera or something) that would not try to get water into the basement? It is a finished basement with a newly remodeled room right under there so I would rather not mess it up if I don't need to, plus...
  5. vpn33

The vertical pipe is galvanized for sure where it comes up through the roof and goes down into the basement. There is a tee in the basement that a laundry room sink connects to and that along with a few feet of underground piping had to be replaced a few years ago because there was a hole in...
  6. vpn33

The vent below the hosebib is a joist space vent as there is a basement below. There is definitely a smell coming from that vent, but like I said, if there was a leak somewhere in the drain line, there would be water leaking down into the basement and I would see it, right? I originally...
  7. vpn33

Quick backstory: I have a basement rambler and for the past several months, I have been noticing a faint odor in certain areas of the house that seemed to be originating somewhere under the stairs. I have switchback stairs with a landing going down to the basement and underneath is a storage...
  8. vpn33

Installing a new gas water heater - expansion tank question

Just thought I'd report back here. I got it all set up last night and it works fine! I do have some small drips in the brass fittings though so I am going to take it apart today and use pipe dope instead of the teflon tape and hope that seals it up. Other than that, all seems well. Thanks...
  9. vpn33

I am sorry, I don't know what you are referring to with this. Rusty water from what? What black fittings?
  10. vpn33

That is a good idea about the drain. I will just keep the 5 gallon then since the block I put under the pipe will support it so I guess it doesn't really matter. While on this subject, I wanted to ask about venting this. I can push the tank a couple inches closer to the wall so it will line...
  11. vpn33

Ok, I have the brass fittings and will do it the way you show in that picture, Terry. The guy at the other store I just went to suggested that too. He also said a 2 gallon is adequate for a 50 gallon tank and then it wouldn't be as heavy, but said putting a block of wood under the pipe to...
  12. vpn33

Ok maybe I will go back and get brass then. So do you think that setup with a brass line off of the tee as shown about but with a block under it to support the weight better than mounting on the wall with a flex line? Is that how you would do it?
  13. vpn33

Mine has terminated into a bucket since I have lived here for the last 12 years and within the last several months, it started spitting in the bucket so I knew something was wrong. I just thought of a drain pan in case there is a slow leak or something that it would contain it for a little bit...
  14. vpn33

I appreciate it. I will just push the new tank a little closer to the wall so the exhaust pipe lines up, put it in a drain pan (unless that is not a good idea for a basement), strap it to the wall, and maybe add a 90 to the pipe so the loop is better. And as far as the tee for the expansion...
  15. vpn33

Wow, I never noticed that, but that does look like white teflon tape that they already had there. I am aware of that being a no no because I had a propane smell in my camper and after investigating, I found that someone had used teflon tape on one of the gas lines. Is pipe dope or tape for gas...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks