Recent content by Vinmassaro

1. Vinmassaro

Advice on plan to replace basement cast iron drain line with PVC

@Reach4, right, I'm planning to remove everything up to the last cast iron pipe and redo it, so that sanitary tee on its back goes away. Good point about the elevation, I will have to see what is possible. As far as connecting to the existing CI, should I cut the hub off the last pipe and use a...
  2. Vinmassaro

Advice on plan to replace basement cast iron drain line with PVC

I would like to replace 40-50ft portion of cast iron drain pipe in my basement with PVC. It runs along the middle of the wall and makes it difficult to use the space for shelving, storage, etc. There is a kitchen sink on one end and a washing machine drain coming through the basement wall on the...
  3. Vinmassaro

Shower vent question in bathroom remodel

@wwhitney Finally had a chance to work on this the other day but just dry fit, didn't get to finish up and just need to do some trimming to correct the slope at the top. Thanks on the second point, I forgot to mention that I did remove that flex coupling for a shielded 4" CI x 3" PL coupling.
  4. Vinmassaro

@wwhitney and @John Gayewski Thanks - I remeasured with the laser level and it’s just shy of 2in at 8ft along the pipe. I marked with a blue arrow where 8ft is. It drops off a lot at the last bay where it connects to the 3x3x2 reducing wye. I should be able make one or two holes a little...
  5. Vinmassaro

@wwhitney Ok, hopefully we are getting to the end here. This thread has gone a few directions so I’m having trouble with the best way. I understand the trap arm has to come off the 2" pipe at most 8 linear feet from the trap, so either of the first two bays in the shower area. I looked at post...
  6. Vinmassaro

@wwhitney appreciate the info as always. I measured today and the difference in height from the trap to the rubber coupling using my laser level is approximately 3-5/8". The linear pipe distance is approx 149”. Where does that leave me, am I close enough? If not, is upsizing the toilet pipe to...
  7. Vinmassaro

@wwhitney Sure, here's a few more. There is just an attic above and the shower p-trap goes across the joists and connects to the combo on the WC line from my previous post. Thanks.
  8. Vinmassaro

Thanks @wwhitney Took up another section and pics are below. Also tried to get some closeups going into the wall. I'm not sure what that copper fitting is, it just looks like a straight tee. What would be easiest to cut that out right after the fitting? It's hard to get in there because it's...
  9. Vinmassaro

@wwhitney I finally opened this area up this morning. The 2” copper line that was here is actually cut and capped which I couldn’t tell with my inspection camera. The PVC lav plumbing is all 1-1/2", connects to the 1-1/2" copper pipe with banded fitting, which goes into a copper tee from 1-1/2"...
  10. Vinmassaro

@wwhitney I appreciate your responses. I took some time off this project and went back to it today. I did a little exploration and drilled a small hole in the floor between the joists where the lavs are connected to the copper drain. I used an inspection camera to take a look at things. The...
  11. Vinmassaro

Thanks Wayne, this is very helpful and I didn't understand it fully the first time. Do you think it's possible that there is already a vent further in, between one of the other studs? I'm wondering if I should cut out a piece of subfloor where the vent stack goes through the floor to see?
  12. Vinmassaro

Wayne, here are the measurements you asked for and another photo: 11in from center of drain to stud wall 34in from center of drain to first joist hole Joist hole: 7/8” from top of joist, 3.25” to the bottom of hole It looks like wet venting option you mentioned would require me to drill more...
  13. Vinmassaro

I'm aware of the improper boring - unfortunately this bathroom was remodeled prior to me owning the home. I can't reinforce/sister the entire length of these joists because this is on a 2nd floor above a finished lower level, so the plumbing is where it is. Here is are some other photos with...
  14. Vinmassaro

Here are a couple photos to show where things are. The shower plumbing (recessed floor for Schluter curbless shower), the toilet, and sink and vent stack. What would be the easiest way to add a vent for the shower?
  15. Vinmassaro

Hi Wayne, thanks for the reply. I think it will be helpful for me to understand if I post some photos later today so I can get a better idea of what the easiest way to do this would be. One question I'm wondering about is, I never noticed any issue using the shower previously. Under what...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks