Recent content by VikkiP

1. VikkiP

Dual lav vent/drain conflict

We hired a plumber to add a master bath to our house, dual lav, shower, toilet. For the dual lav, he installed 2" stub outs almost directly in line (maybe an inch offset) from the lav drain, through the cabinet back, into the wall cavity, into a wye with an AAV elevated 4' above the lav inside...
  2. VikkiP

Kitchen sink drain moving - getting quotes and want to be sure design is right

Greetings. We're renovating a 1940s house with a basement, and plumbing rework is necessary. The kitchen and bath share a 6" wet wall. The kitchen sink is moving 15 feet away from the 3" C.I. main stack, to a new location in a small dining room addition over a separate crawl space. The...
  3. VikkiP

Quick question - shower valve access

The valve is just like that. They refuse to install it where the architect specified because there is a chimney behind the framing behind that space. First photo: to architect spec. Second photo: plumber moved it. Note: it's a lined chimney, masonry clearance or lack of is approved.
  4. VikkiP

Quick question - shower valve access

We are installing Delta front-cartridge thermostatic shower valves in a new shower construction. Plumber insists that the shower valve has to be relocated to the back wall of the shower (requiring the user to either step in and get a cold shower until the water warms, or get a wet head and...
  5. VikkiP

Three choices, which would you recommend?

Thanks for the advice. This is a little 1000 SF bungalow in a neighborhood just entering revitalization. 90% of the housing in this neighborhood is 3 BR/1 BA, none with master suites, so we need to be able to do this without pricing out of the neighborhood comps while attracting younger buyers...
  6. VikkiP

Three choices, which would you recommend?

We just purchased a 1940s 3 BR 1 BA bungalow with the only bath on the ground floor. Laundry is in the basement on its own drain, kitchen shares the stack with the bathroom. All fixtures drain and vent through the single 3" CI. Code is IRC, using IPC. We want to add a second bath, and have...
  7. VikkiP

Venting kitchen sink and dishwasher

Yes, the boot would be easy to tackle...but it's not connected to the DVW system anymore, and the sink is unvented.
  8. VikkiP

Venting kitchen sink and dishwasher

I am working on a 1950 bungalow. It was built with two vented DWV stacks...main stack supports bathtub with shower, toilet, and lav. It's 3" CI and goes underfloor. On the way back to the sewer main, there is a 2" CI hub fitted with a 1 1/2" galv drain. Originally, the galv drain ran up to...
  9. VikkiP

Advice on adding 2nd floor bath

This is a great site, thanks for the visual reference. "Lavatory wet vent drain on toilet vent. A maximum of a 3 foot 6 inch trap arm" so if my lav drain is only 2 feet from the stack (first floor, drains toilet, tub and lav) and tub drain is also < 3 foot 6 inches from the same stack, then I...
  10. VikkiP

Not moving pipes in the first floor, but the 70 year old galv pipe lav drain is already suspect and has no cleanout, and the previous slumlord patched in radiator hose to drain the tub so as soon as I go to get SOMETHING fixed, getting the rest updated just makes sense and will switch most of...
  11. VikkiP

Not sure if this is better or worse... The first floor wet wall is 2x6 construction. I can't change that. Upstairs, since it will be new space, I can make the wet wall as thick as need be to accommodate the venting crossing the old stack.
  12. VikkiP

right now, it's a single bath on a single stack with no fixture vents. The closet bend has "taps", one of which is used to drain the bathtub. The sink is teed in about 18" above the closet bend. Again, no vent. I won't touch anything if we don't build the addition, but I need to submit a...
  13. VikkiP

I am good with my hands but artistically challenged. What I intended to portray is that the existing stack would remain essentially as-is, with fixture vents added to this stack above this floor's flood rim. A parallel stack would be built a couple feet to the right that would drain the second...
  14. VikkiP

Not trying to go "cheap" at all. I have to work within a framework of an existing wet wall that has three fixtures in 7 feet of wall, and the bath above will have the same layout as there is a furnace and ductwork underneath the bathroom limiting my options. I came here for recommendations...
  15. VikkiP

We just bought a 1950 bungalow with a semi-finished attic and full basement. It could make a nice master suite with the addition of a shed dormer, and adding a bathroom upstairs would really make it nice. Main stack is 3" CI and serves the existing first floor bath only. None of the existing...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks