Recent content by valveman

1. valveman

Start Capacitor for Failing Pump

Most likely a motor problem. After a motor has cycled that many times the water inside them looks like dark coffee with a lot of grinds.
  2. valveman

Blue Water Mystery

Wow! Blue does make me think copper. Could be copper sludge from somewhere.
  3. valveman

Well Pump & Pressure Tank - layout/plumbing advice

The small tank will make the pump cycle on/off for small uses of water. The CSV will eliminate all on/off cycles when using water for longer periods of time. But the overall number of on/off cycles is the same as with the large tank. The differences are that with the PK1A you will always have...
  4. valveman

Well Pump & Pressure Tank - layout/plumbing advice

If you want to do it "correctly" you will use a Cycle Stop Valve and only a 4.5 gallon size tank. Won't have to worry if it will clear the drain pipe or fit where you want. The CSV with a 4.5 gallon tank will do a much better job than just a 47 gallon size tank that will cause the pump to...
  5. valveman

Could also be the starting relay. It will trip the overloads if the relay fails to disconnect the start cap in a second or so.
  6. valveman

You can do that. A little larger start cap can sometimes get a locked up pump to start. But the extra spark isn't good for a motor that has already had too many starting sparks. 17 years is almost 3 times the average motor life. Don't expect that kind of life from a new pump, as they are not...
  7. valveman

4 wire well pump, control box, and pressure switch wiring help

The pressure switch cuts the two wires between the breaker and the control box. The 4 wires go from the control box straight to the motor.
  8. valveman

Well won't maintain pressure

Turn off the power to the pump. If you have a check valve above ground and the pressure leaks off, then leak is after the check valve. If the pressure does not leak off, the leak is before the check valve. Either way you should remove any above ground check valves, as it could be a reason for...
  9. valveman

Well won't maintain pressure

You have a big leak somewhere.
  10. valveman

Upgrading to large capacity Water Softener; should we upgrade plumbing and or Pressure tank as well?

The further you go with larger pipe the better. Wherever you start with small pipe is where your restrictions start. I go with at least 1" from the well to the softener. Might leave the softener with a 3/4 main through the house, and only go down to 1/2 on the lines that branch off. Again...
  11. valveman

Upgrading to large capacity Water Softener; should we upgrade plumbing and or Pressure tank as well?

Looks like a few black iron fittings? They need to be replaced. With such small pipe leaving the tank and then going through a softener, you won't get much pressure to the shower. Again, if you want it to last, stop the cycling or you will replace that system many times in 40 years...
  12. valveman

Advice on equipment to buy for DIY well pump installation

Good to know. I wonder if that has changed because they have always told me 5 seconds? Anyway, it still makes it necessary to put slightly less air charge in the tank to give the pump time to get up to speed. This is even more important with a small tank. The less air charge in the tank the...
  13. valveman

You pump certainly feels it when cycling on and off. But I have heard that from a lot of people. Some install a Cycle Stop Valve anyway for other reasons like their pump isn't lasting long enough or they need space and want a smaller tank. Then they call me back and say, "WOW! I just never...
  14. valveman

The insert fittings in 1/2" Pex won't let much water through. 3/4 isn't much better. Any type pipe that doesn't have the insert fittings will let more water through. I would use 1" to the softener as they need good flow to back wash. With the friction loss of a softener and small pipe going...
  15. valveman

Advice on equipment to buy for DIY well pump installation

Although not technically rated for submersible pumps, I much prefer double jacketed wire like this...