Recent content by TomBrooklyn

1. TomBrooklyn

Residential Lights and Outlets on Same Circuit?

Residential NYC Aside from dedicated outlets like those in kitchens and bathrooms etcetera, do you like to mix lighting and outlets on the same circuit or keep them seperate?
  2. TomBrooklyn

Soldering 1.5" Pipe...Any Tips?

No. I was talking about supply pipe for potable water. I wanted to replace a short section of brass pipe on the house main to add a T and someone suggested to me I use thread to copper fittings on both sides and replace the section with copper. I could avoid soldering all-together by...
  3. TomBrooklyn

Soldering Pipe: How Big With Bernz-O-Matic?

Hi, I'm not sure what you consider the DIY soldering kit, but I think what I have would be considered that. I think I have a BernzOMatic TS4000 I might have the TS7000 or TS8000 though. I'll have to go look later. They're shown on this page...
  4. TomBrooklyn

Soldering 1.5" Pipe...Any Tips?

Any tips on how to solder 1.5" pipe? I've done a little soldering on .5 and .75". I got a short length of pipe and a couple of half damaged fittings to practice with. I got propane, but perhaps I need to pick up MAPP. (I also got acetylene as part of an oxy-acetylene setup) but I...
  5. TomBrooklyn

Soldering Pipe: How Big With Bernz-O-Matic?

Up to what size standard copper pipe can a regular Bernz-O-Matic propane torch work? How about the Bernz-O-Matic with MAPP?
  6. TomBrooklyn

Sleeve, Chrome, Shower Faucet: Won't Come Off

How in great blazes do you remove the chrome sleeve off a shower (hot water) faucet that doesn't want to come off? (to access the stem to change a washer.) I tried turning if off with a channel lock / vice grips and just succeeded in scraping the chrome off the brass and changing it from...
  7. TomBrooklyn

Pittsburgh Pipe Wrenches Any Good?

I measured the riser and it's 2.25" OD so I guess that's a 2" pipe. I think the main horizontal main is 3". I'm not sure how a plumber would fix that tee if it broke, but I have an arc welder and could weld a piece back in. How would a plumber normally go about replacing a 3x2 tee that...
  8. TomBrooklyn

Sounds like steel is a lot more versitile. And with steel wrenches I will need to spend that much less time in the gym. I'll stick with steel. Cheers.
  9. TomBrooklyn

Hi CHH, Thanks for the guidelines on wrench sizes. I got only one connection to remove that's 2" or 2.5" so it sounds like I'm on the borderline with the 24". I got oxy-acetylene handy too so I could heat it up real hot. Will have to see how it goes.
  10. TomBrooklyn

OK. Sounds like Ridgid is the only way to go. I picked up a steel 24" Ridgid on ****. Got it for $29 and the teeth look pretty OK as far I could tell from the picture. Are even the aluminum Ridgids not so good? I got some 100 year old steam heating pipe risers and takeoffs I...
  11. TomBrooklyn

Hi. Is Ridgid really the only company that makes a solid, good quality pipe wrench? To give you an idea of what I mean by solid, good quality--that is what I consider Craftsman sockets and wrenches to be. I would call that Tier 2 quality. I would consider Snap-On Tier 1 quality...
  12. TomBrooklyn

Hi, I'm not a plumber but I am a small real estate owner who tackles some small to medium size jobs on my own so I do want something that will last. I don't go for buying the same tool more than once and I have no tolerance for mediocre tools that aren't able to perform their intended function...
  13. TomBrooklyn

Are Pittsburgh pipe wrenches any good, such as the 24" aluminum one from Harborfreight? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39606
  14. TomBrooklyn

Cutting Into 6" Extra Heavy Soil Pipe

Hi Gary, When you say I will go through several disks, are you talking about the regular metal cutoff blades or diamond blades? Cal said to use diamond blades. I didn't think it would use up even one of those. They cost about $40 each.
  15. TomBrooklyn

Cutting Into 6" Extra Heavy Soil Pipe

Hi George, Ya, this pipe is in the ground. I have to excavate to get to it. But I'll keep your advice in mind for any riser work I do in the future. Hi Cal, When I tried to cut this pipe another time at another place further back for a different project (which I gave up one and changed...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks