Recent content by tl2tl

1. tl2tl

In-WALL air return?

Thanks, I was just reading about the duct board. That's one of the materials I am considering.
  2. tl2tl

In-WALL air return?

That's funny. :D Can't touch the wall behind the duct as it already houses a supply duct within it. I appreciate all the suggestions from everyone so far and I'm open to more ideas.
  3. tl2tl

In-WALL air return?

That's an interesting idea, but I'd rather not deal with sheet metal. What other material can I use? I am thinking of that foil lined insulation with an adhesive on one side. Would something like that be an acceptable alternative? What different types are there?
  4. tl2tl

In-WALL air return?

Yes, they should've done a better job installing that duct. Unfortunately, I have to deal with what it is. Part of the reason I was asking about the best paint/finish was the "air quality" consideration. As far as the size of the wall cavity, it actually will be bigger than the current...
  5. tl2tl

In-WALL air return?

I never thought of a fire code affecting this, since the stairs to the upstairs don't require a door. But instinctively was thinking of using the concrete sheet rock to line the inside and the finishing wall of the new return. I think that would address the speed of fire spreading problem...
  6. tl2tl

In-WALL air return?

I asked this elsewhere, no reply yet... What do you guys think? When our furnace was replaced, the installers put some new ducting in, including this 2nd floor air return duct. Each floor has separate ducting and it’s own furnace. Because this duct butts right against the door trim and...
  7. tl2tl

Can feces get into tank?

+1 Have the kid's parents see it and have the kid HIMSELF clean the mess up.
  8. tl2tl

Flexi tube--does it need sediment trap?

THAT is correct! And that is exactly how the union is installed in the above picture, between the gas valve and the "T" on the vertical drop, you just can't see it. However, in your original reply you said it should've been between the "T" and the THERMOSTAT, which is not what you're saying...
  9. tl2tl

Water Heater.. BEFORE and AFTER

Thanks for the screws suggestion. Once I complete the final adjustments on the vent piping and after the second water heater is installed, I will add more screws and also will use foil tape around the connections. The leaks from the joints are a concern (hence the overkill with both tape...
  10. tl2tl

The union allows you an easy "starting point" for disassembling the gas connections. However, if you used the flex pipe for your connections, you won't need a union, since you can just unscrew the connecting nut.
  11. tl2tl

Here, the PROS connect the gas line to a water heater control valve without a union between the tee and the thermostat. ( But in your case, why would you need a tee if you don't have traps?) The joint union is actually on the VERTICAL run of the black pipe, a foot or two above the "T". In...
  12. tl2tl

Water Heater.. BEFORE and AFTER

You're very observant :) And you're right, I did use BOTH tape and pipe dope on all the connections I made. For gas connections I used the yellow gas tape. I have 2 compression fittings there. I was aware that pipe dope was not required for them. However, someone very knowledgeable (I...
  13. tl2tl

Yes, that sounds good. Just double check all the connections for any leaks. ...BTW, I'm not Terry but that's ok :)
  14. tl2tl

I've seen flex gas connectors looped so that the loop is below the connection to the heater and acts as a sort of sediment trap. However, I would keep the sediment trap, since it's as easy to get a shorter flex connector and loop it so that one side connects to the heater and the other to the...
  15. tl2tl

boiler pilot light

I'm not a pro so take this with a large grain of salt. Here are some of the possibilities depending on type of water heater you have... Problem one: thermocouple. Problem two: air intake screen gets plugged with dust and not enough fresh air is supplied Problem three: if floor under...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks