Recent content by Tjbaudio

1. Tjbaudio

Black iron plug used in bronze shower valve. Help cleaning threads/plugging hole.

For future reference, several kinds of taps and thread chasers exist. The biggest difference is the tapper of the starting threads. It sounds like you had a bottoming tap. A plug or taper tap may have worked better.
  2. Tjbaudio

Pipe for future water main under cement.

Thank you. I have some other water and electrical runs to make as well. I will just pick up some extra 2" PVC for this.
  3. Tjbaudio

Pipe for future water main under cement.

We are having some decorative cement being poured at the front of the house. Currently the water main runs under a different part of the yard and is not leaking. We have slab on grade construction with under slab pipes from the 70's in Las Vegas. If we ever have to do a re-pipe it will be PEX...
  4. Tjbaudio

What amperage is this service? And is this correct?

I think your gut felling of those 30's being way to big is spot on! Years ago I had bought a house that had a similar fuse panel except only 4 of the screw in fuses. 60A service, the two big cartridge fuses were 60A main and 40A stove. The 4 small ones had 20's and 30's. Only 2 of the small...
  5. Tjbaudio

zero waste reverse osmosis with recirculation system

It has been a while since posting here! We have recently bought a house in Las Vegas and are planning on adding a reverse osmosis system to the kitchen sink. It also happens to be the farthest sink from the water heater and takes a good while to get hot water. Existing pluming system is...
  6. Tjbaudio

Looking for a creative (and pet friendly) plumber

Years ago I did something like this using an automatic watering unit from a farm supply house. The problem is float valves do not always work right and may stick on or leak. In a toilet they just run and the over flow goes down the drain. I would never use a unit like that agian with out a...
  7. Tjbaudio

Main valve buried in cement needs replacement, How would you break it out?

Yup, could have done it faster, or I could have taken longer. Since I was not on the clock I did it at my own pace with out rushing in any way. I figure if I were to hire this out I would expect it to take 1 to 2 hours and several hundred $$$. Had I not made a bad joint it would have been...
  8. Tjbaudio

The problem was 50+ years of turbulent water had worn away the pipe wall just past the valve. The good news was that the main line was copper and in very good shape. I was also lucky and found the exact 2 pieces I needed in my parts bin. I did not have to cut the pipe but I did square and...
  9. Tjbaudio

Repair done, with pics and how to. Water guy came out at 9am today to turn off the water. In our town they leave the tool for me to use till I am done with the repair. Also, no charge to turn off the water for a repair. First I drilled a ring of holes 2 to 3" deep. This forms a frature...
  10. Tjbaudio

curbstop was 100% so I used the smoke wrenceh, pictures to come later.
  11. Tjbaudio

Adding a clean-out to old cast iron and/or clay pipe

My gut says the elbo is broken under the floor. Can you add a support at the top of the block wall? If so I would do that before excivating any more soil/cement. Be carful you don't undermine the foundation. Also from what I read using a chain break on that kind of pipe is risky at best...
  12. Tjbaudio

Is an old school compression fitting really that bad? I am talking the ones with a metal band crushed in under a wrenced on nut. Not the shark bite crap.
  13. Tjbaudio

One concern I have is that the curb stop is not 100% at least I don't think it is. I was thinking compression fitting to the first valve so I dont have to worry about the little dribble messing up the joint. At the least I could go small on the chipping at first.
  14. Tjbaudio

Thank you. That's about what I had in mind. I have a 12" or 18" long bit for the drill. Start breaking up the 1/2 block above the valve. Once it is out I can work down to the valve and pipe.
  15. Tjbaudio

Hello, I have an old house that has had many changes over the years. I am not sure when the pluming was changed from a well to city water main, could be the 70's could be the 40's. The original foundation is stone. At some point the basement was dug out (or possibly added) and the stone...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks