Recent content by Teve

1. Teve

New tank-bowl gasket doesn't seal

Tightened the nuts at the bottom of the tank. I forget I had only hand tightened them. I'm a nut for not realizing that. Not tightening them is the obvious explanation. Thanks. By the way, I don't see the linked "how to install" thread. Where is it?
  2. Teve

I finally found the exact gasket. However, there is a very small leak along one of the bolts which I can see through the tank-bowl gap. I don't want to over tighten the blots. What is the best solution to stop the leak?
  3. Teve

I finally found a tank-bowl gasket for a Gerber toilet. It's a little higher than the one from the flush valve replacement kit and fits snugly over the threaded plastic pipe, but it is not shaped to fit over the plastic hex nut, nor would it since it has a smaller outer diameter. The tank now...
  4. Teve

I have a Gerber brand toilet. I bought a new universal toilet fill valve (Fluidmaster 400A) and a toilet flush valve kit (Oatey #459-269). The box says it has a double thick sponge rubber gasket. I don't know if that means anything special. The tank-bowl gasket is not sealing. When I...
  5. Teve

Low spot in back yard got lower

In the back yard, by the back fence, a roughly 6'x10' area of ground seems to have dropped or settled a few inches. It's next a pole with underground power/phone/cable. There is an ice/water puddle formed there that wasn't there last year. From the grass I can see near the edge it does seem a...
  6. Teve

Help Configuring water softener

My main concern is that the installer did not overlook something significant that might be a problem sooner than later. Everything seems to be working fine. It seems if the resin does expand some and move around during up-flow brine rinse, it is not a major issue. I hope it isn't any worse...
  7. Teve

The Clack service manual shows that up-flow injectors two sizes down from down-flow injectors for the same diameter tank with a footnote to the table I hadn't noticed. It says for up-flow using standard mesh synthetic media and NaCl, the injectors assume incoming water at 30-50 psi and a...
  8. Teve

Ditttohead, I sent you a message.
  9. Teve

OK. I think I understand the pressure issue. I looked at page 38 of the document. I have similar graphs for the Clack valve. I also looked at the backwash bed expansion graph for the resin I have. I assume I can apply that for up-flow brine rinsing. I estimate there is about 8% expansion...
  10. Teve

I understand there are special applications that require more elaborate systems to provide highly softened water. My questions are more basic about what happens inside a basic home softener. The reverse connection thing is hypothetical to help me understand how resin, from top to bottom, takes...
  11. Teve

Ditttohead, thanks for the detailed response. I still have some questions if you don't mind. OK. I think I understand why there is no pre-backwash with up-flow. Hardness accumulated near the top sees a stronger salt dose and travels a shorter distance out of the resin and lightly or...
  12. Teve

I have an up-flow Clack valve and have a couple questions, if you don't mind, others can respond as well. How is there any difference between up-flow and down-flow concerning pressure during brine rinse? If anything I would think there would be less pressure loss with up-flow through the...
  13. Teve

Softener Sizing and Selection

I was speaking from the knowledge of my Clack valve with estimated reserve calculation. I think most metered systems are electronic and have a reserve feature. But metered or not, electronic or not, reserve feature or not, they can all be set to regenerate in the early morning when water is...
  14. Teve

Softener Sizing and Selection

They can be programmed to regenerate that way, but are typically programmed to regenerate at a fixed time of day, usually early morning, like 2AM, after they hit their programmed "max" minus some optional reserve.
  15. Teve

Where is the best place to get water hardness tested?

What kind of problem with a water well would cause its water to increase so much in hardness as to make blended water much harder? Is it something happening within the aquifer or something with the pipes going down to it?
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks