Recent content by Tedr

1. Tedr

Best location for pressure tank and switch

Life has been getting in the way of my plumbing education. I made a quick trip to the cottage to close it for the season, but before draining the water system I moved the switch from the pump to the pressure tank up at the cottage. Unfortunately I couldn't get the pump to start even though...
  2. Tedr

Thanks. Yes, I get that. The switch is a new one I installed recently. It was preset for 20/40 and I adjusted it to 30/50 to try to get more pressure at the cottage. I'll adjust it back to 20/40 before moving it up the hill to the cottage. Hopefully the pump can deliver enough pressure to...
  3. Tedr

Thanks for even more great information and suggestions. I think I am beginning to understand how these systems work. I appreciate the patience of everyone in helping me (and others) learn. I'll probably adjust the cut in/cut out to 20/40 before moving the switch because I doubt the pump can...
  4. Tedr

Thanks for the helpful replies. I plan to move the switch up to the tank and will report the result after I get it done. Won't be there for another week or two.
  5. Tedr

My 3/4 hp jet pump draws water from the lake and is located about 15' above lake level. There is a 2-gallon pressure tank at the pump. This small tank was added two years ago to solve a water hammer/bounce problem. I haven't checked the air pressure in this tank lately. The pressure switch...
  6. Tedr

Booster pump question

Thanks for the advice. The booster pump idea is done. A submersible is a way better idea. But before I do that I want to make sure I have the existing system running as well as it can. I have a question about the location of the pressure tank and the pressure switch, but I'll ask in a...
  7. Tedr

Booster pump question

The water pressure is only 10 psi at my cottage and I would like to increase it to at least 30 psi. I have a 3/4 hp jet pump about 15 ft above the lake, and it pumps water to the cottage about 100 ft up a hill. The pump is set for 30/50 cut in/out. There is a 2-gallon pressure tank at the...
  8. Tedr

Another water hammer problem

Here's an update... I added a 2-gallon tank immediately after the pump and that solved the water hammer problem. However, the rate of flow up at the cottege was very low. When I checked the pressure in the 20-gallon tank at the cottage it showed 30 psi but there was very little water coming...
  9. Tedr

So have two tanks on the system? That sounds like an easy fix. I wonder why the problem has just started in the last few weeks...
  10. Tedr

My water system has been working properly for a few weeks (after solving some problems with the help of the veterans on this forum) and now I have a new problem. The pump cycles on and off rapidly about 6 or 7 times at start up but I have only noticed it when the shower is in use. The pump...
  11. Tedr

Pump won't shut off

Valveman: I didn't need to take the pump apart. I thought I should look after the foot valve problem first so I cleaned up the foot valve and repositioned it so it wouldn't be so close to the bottom. After that I ran the pump and it ran well enough to reach shut off pressure. Maybe the...
  12. Tedr

Pump won't shut off

Thanks Valveman. I'm planning to open up the pump, clean out the nozzle and inspect the impeller. I'm also going to reposition the foot valve - I think it is picking up sand and silt. It makes sense to me that the nozzle would be partially blocked. I'll let you know when I get back.
  13. Tedr

Pump won't shut off

I'm trying to decide if I need to replace my pump. I don't know how old it is, but I think it may be only a few years old. I am drawing water from a lake. The pump is a Mastercraft 3/4 hp. Vertical lift from the lake to the pump is about 12 feet. The pressure tank is at the cottage about...
  14. Tedr

Pump outflow port size

A final update... This past weekend we visited the cottage. During the previous night the temperature had dipped below freezing so I was pretty worried that I might have a broken pump. I opened the hose bib and turned on the pump and slushy, near-frozen water gushed out. So I closed the...
  15. Tedr

Pump outflow port size

Well, the good news is I got the water flowing. The bad news is I'm not sure of the precise steps required. I discovered a T in the line up on the hill under the cottage just before the pressure tank. My initial plan was to install a T at the pump outflow down by the lake. I decided to...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks