Recent content by TacoFan

1. TacoFan

Is this shower drain bad?

Thanks, and yeah, I agree most likely the long term fix is to redo the whole shower. With this shower, I can see some tiles cracked, grout missing and poorly installed, and caulk on the glass/metal parts are not well sealed. I’m going to fix up the grout/tile/caulk around where the shower...
  2. TacoFan

I did a little more digging online and think the hole may be a weep hole? If so I guess it’s a good thing.
  3. TacoFan

Hi all, my wife and I recently bought a house. The inspection report said the primary shower leaks pretty badly, so we haven’t used it yet. The grout is cracked, so I started removing the grout to regrout it. When removing grout, I removed the shower drain cover to clear out a ton of hair. I...
  4. TacoFan

How to align PVC pipe in cast hub with donut

Here’s where we ended up. Got the 2” all plumbed in, tested to confirm it’s all watertight and drains at full flow from a garden hose. Thanks for the help everyone!
  5. TacoFan

Nevermind, I just got it in there with the 2”, and the fit looks good to me.
  6. TacoFan

So I got the 1.5 inch PVC out of the hub, which has an ID of 2.8 9” at the top. measuring the metal pipe exiting the hub into the ground, it’s a hair over 1.75”, maybe 1 7/8 absolute max. I measured by finding a pry bar that just barely fits in the pipe, and it’s a little over 1.75”. The PVC is...
  7. TacoFan

Yeah in the future, I’ll run new wires to the bedroom outlet. There are two different types of conduit in the pitcture. Below the fitting I believe is rigid conduit, and above the fitting I believe is emt. I’m planning to remove the emt entirely and then chop the lower (rigid conduit, I...
  8. TacoFan

Yes the conduit connects to the bottom of the box. The conduit runs from the box, under the slab, and into the nearest bedroom. The washer outlet is 100% definitely powering the bedroom outlet. It was wire nutted so I believe the 2 prong bedroom outlet isn’t actually gfci protected and wouldn’t...
  9. TacoFan

I took a closer look. The emt/rigid conduit heading down from the gfci is original to the house and feeds an outlet in a bedroom. I guess doing that must have been code when the house was built.
  10. TacoFan

The emt is a load. The gfci line is provided by cotton braided wire from the roof. The emt was originally connected with wire nuts and not using the gfci load terminal, just skipping the outlet altogether. Yeah that’s my understanding as well, that the emt is a code violation today. I don’t...
  11. TacoFan

My washer installation instructions indicate either a 1.5 inch or 2 inch drain will work, fwiw. If I have a 2 inch drain I believe they require me to use an adapter. I’ll see if there’s any way I can get rid of the conduit in the way of the 2” p trap. The conduit is emt. Betweeen the exterior...
  12. TacoFan

This picture shows what 2” would look like. I do have a stud shoe and will need to bore that 2x4 for either 1.5” or 2”. The issue is that conduit is in the way. Even if I were to switch the conduit to flex, the wires wouldn’t be long enough to route around the new location of the washer box...
  13. TacoFan

It’s CA, which is based on the UPC. The existing pipe is 1.5” so I’m hoping I’ll be alright to replace it with the same, given that this is a repair. If it were easy to go to 2” I’d be inclined to do so. I don’t see any easy way to make 2” work here in the 2x4 wall, but if you do, I’m all ears...
  14. TacoFan

Here’s overall. The pvc points a little bit left from where it should. The pvc also points into the room instead of slightly towards the exterior siding. I should note I plan to cut the pvc before installing that sanitary tee permanently. The tee is currently too high, as the trap arm should be...
  15. TacoFan

Thanks for the insight! I’m a little hesitant to demo the cast hub out. The hub is going through the bottom plate on an exterior wall. The house is slab on grade, so the concrete is probably extra thick where the hub goes through. If at all possible I want to avoid making cuts or penetrations...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks